So, armed with some internet research, canning jars, ingredients, and a friend's large pot, I dove in.
I learned a lot.
1. The size of my kitchen (read teeny) is detrimental to the process.
2. The recipe that says it makes 9 pint sized jars of relish requiring a large bowl, large pot, and large colander, really means gigantic when describing those items.
3. Due to number 2 above, I threw away a lot of diced up green tomatoes.
4. A food processor would be handy. All that hand chopping is tiresome. But because of the aforementioned teeny kitchen there is no room for a processor worth buying.
5. However, despite the odds being heavily against me. It worked! I made relish!
|Batch 1 - green tomato relish|