Friday, February 24, 2017

Is This So Difficult to Understand?

I got a call from a tech today that kind of went as follows:

Tech:  Yes, hi, do you have extra ivories that you would sell?

Me:  No, I have never sold ivory as I use it for my own customers and for keyboard restoration work for technician customers.  Also, it is currently illegal to sell/trade in any ivory across state lines.  You are from Florida, right?

Tech:  Ah, yes.  When did it become illegal?

Me:  The federal government passed the ban in interstate ivory sales/trade on July 6, 2016.  You will have to find someone in your own state if you wish to legally buy old ivory.

Tech:  Oh, I don't know of anyone here. 

Me:  I'm sorry.  I can't help you.

Tech:  Maybe I can find someone out west that will sell me some.

Me:  Well, I can't say whether anyone will, but it is illegal for them to sell out of state.  That's now federal law.

Tech:  I'm going to Texas.  Maybe someone there can sell it to me?

Me:  (ready to scream)  They would be breaking a federal law.  That would be up to them.  Sorry I can't help you.  Best of luck.

Is the meaning of interstate and illegal difficult to grasp?  Wow.

No comments: