Saturday, February 23, 2008

Don't Call Us, We Don't Call You!

Probably about half of you know about a certain criminal harassment case that my local police have filed, on my behalf, against my ex. After over 4 years of nasty harassing emails, impersonating me online and trying to ruin my business the ex finally got the message. Mostly. Sort of. Well, I guess he figures email and online stuff are out of the question because, quite frankly, he got caught. Since he is now residing in the 'motherland' UK, the only current result of the pending case is that he would be arrested if he tried to enter this country.

So what's a bored ex to do?

There's always my parent's (now mom's) telephone.

Gee whiz.

Back on October 9, 2006, we came home to my folk's house and there was a message on their answering machine. We had just missed it by minutes. Twas the ex looking for me. I *69'd the call, wrote down the phone number and got online to check a reverse look-up. I was amazed to discover that the number had been discontinued 3 months prior and had belonged to an international software company that was being investigated in a multi-million dollar fraud case. Hah! What a number to have 'spoofed'*.

So I made a tape recording of the digital message and added it to the somewhat dormant case file at the police station. They offered to file additional charges against the ex, but my thoughts were why bother.

Fast forward over a year and here we go again!

Tuesday, my mom and I went to Barnes & Noble bookstore so that I could pick up my copy of "Schuyler's Monster" (see the sidebar). When we got back to her house about 2 hours later, I noticed that there were two messages on her machine. I headed for my place while my mom got settled in and I heard her start the answering machine. When I went back downstairs, she called to me to have a listen.

Two calls from the same place by two different people. Same background noise on both calls. Similar message as the one in 2006..."Hello, hello, is anyone there, I'm looking for Mr. (insert my dad's given name instead of mine), hello, hello?" Funny how when listening to the background noise my ex's name is mentioned, loud and clear. The first voice is definitely his, the second voice sounds like someone who is trying way too hard to change their accent!

So, I make another tape recording, just in case. I didn't check the number as I am too busy to bother. I haven't bothered reporting it to the police or giving them a copy of the recording. This is just sooooooooo utterly absurd. I find it hard to believe that someone can't find something more interesting to do with his time!

*Spoofing - getting digital access to 'steal' a phone number for usually fraudulent use. In another instance my Caller ID showed 000-000-0000. I called the phone company to ask, "What's up with this?" They said it's not possible unless someone had the computer software to 'use' whatever numbers they wished in an attempt to disguise the origin of the call.

D____, he must have a boring life.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

He's keeping you on your toes, Deb. Must be somewhat galling, though. Like a bad smell - just hangs around for ever!
Keep your pecker up, pal, it'll soon be summer. Don't know what bloody difference that will make, though! Yes I do! You can go out for a meal again! There y'a!

deb said...

Like a bad smell, if you put up with it for 15 minutes you hardly notice it anymore.

Unfortunate that he is so unhappy (among other things).

8 weeks until Skip's, 9 weeks for Ellen's!

Little Wing said...

Sorry to hear that deb, I would be concerned about his mental capacity.
Be safe!

deb said...

Well, I'm quite sure there are some serious problems at his end. Immediately after depositions, back when I was divorcing him, my lawyer quite seriously asked, "Is he delusional?"

Thankful he is an ocean away!