Tuesday, February 19, 2008

The High Road


When I moved to Rockport, I knew that it would not be an easy business transition. I moved to an area that is virtually an island. This island has an approximate population of 20,000 and already had two established piano technicians. Based on the wonderful business atmosphere and open sharing among colleagues that I had experienced in Florida, I was hoping for the same in my new locale.

Things went well, if slowly, at first. I was sure to make positive contacts with the other piano techs and to offer my services at a reasonable rate. I also made it clear that I did not intend to step on professional toes. For the first couple of years this worked. I did numerous key work and player piano work for other technicians giving more than fair prices for top notch work. I loaned tools, I gave away supplies when they were in a pinch. Over the past two years I found my generosity being tested. Now discounts were demanded and every job they wanted done was 'put a rush on it'. As a result, I broke all ties to these individuals. As each got their share of bad headlines in the news, they also got their share of accolades. Most recently, the most island ingrained of these techs had a front page write-up in the Gloucester Times followed swiftly by a glowing letter-to-the-editor. Yes, this bothered me a bit. But what bothered me more was the unfounded and purely propaganda ridden expert testimony that spewed forth from this tech. Totally professionally inaccurate information. Still I kept my silence.

I received a call from a man in Gloucester. He had an older console piano on his enclosed porch. It had been ages since he had played it but he had been undergoing chemo and thought it might be relaxing to start playing again. When I arrived, I was surprised to find that the piano wasn't too far out(of tune). It would be a routine job involving tuning and lubricating a couple of sticking notes. As Mr. T heard me finishing up, he came into the room with his checkbook. "How much?" I told him the same price that I had quoted on the phone. "Well, you've done extra work, " he says. "You've gotten those keys to work." "No extra charge for that," I say. He remarked that he would be adding a sizable tip to the amount. And...that the next time he saw that other tech's name in the paper he was going to "take serious action"..."He's a thief, " he said(among other things). I kept my silence.

Then I was called upon to tune a not-so-bad, no-name grand piano. As I was getting my tool kit opened, Mrs. Z apologized for the piano being so miserably out of tune. She had gotten it for free. Once she had it moved to the house, she just didn't know who to call for the tuning. She "certainly wasn't going to call those people from Gloucester that had moved it" and on and on. The customer had gotten my name from her insurance agent (my agent, as well). The tuning was a big job. Pitch raise and fine tuning. As requested, I had brought spare ivories to repair some missing ones. Mrs. Z was thrilled, so glad she had found me. Never would she call those others. Still my lips sealed.

Last Friday, I headed for Lanesville to give a work estimate on an old upright. Most often these pianos have been neglected for years. I was surprised to find a decent piano needing some moderate remedial work. The owner is a professional recording musician. Super nice guy, actually a tad overly gracious! He told me that he had taken a great deal of care in locating the 'right' person to do the work on his piano. He knew about those others. He had thoroughly checked out everyone and knew he had chosen correctly.

And yesterday, I tuned a stubborn Steinway M for a professional jazz musician. He had already had other tuners. He wouldn't call them again. I inquired why. "The tunings didn't last more than a couple of days, " he said. Yes, this piano was a tough tune. But that's just part of the profession. Some are like that, so extra time and extra effort is involved. I told him that, in all fairness, the piano was difficult to tune. The tendency to flagpoling pins and the entire piano rocking to and fro as I worked. That he may find a few notes 'out' sooner than expected. Just to call me and I'd be out to take care of it...no additional charge. I said that maybe the others had experienced a similar 'stubborness' and just needed the opportunity to 'clean up some bad spots'. He said that they had tried that and he still wasn't happy. (Truthfully there were some notes that were sooooo bad compared to the rest of the piano that I don't see how any tech could have left them that way.) So far (at least until this typing!), Mr. W thinks I'm the only decent tech in the area!

I'm happy to do everything I can to make your piano meet your needs. I want your piano to EXCEED your expectations.

Honesty, quality, fairness, and the high road.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's not always the best work that gets the most. It's sometimes down to marketing - i.e. He, with the biggest mouth! But, as many have found out, it's not the best way to decide on whom to use.

deb said...

Well, I do my share of advertising. Actually more than the others. Just seems that one in particular must have an 'in' with the local newspaper. It's annoying. However, I still believe that one satisfied customer will bring more through referrals. One dissatisfied customer will kill your career with telling EVERYONE they know. (Especially on an island!)

Anonymous said...

That must have been a wonderful string of pats on the back to really make a good job worth doing well. Congratulations!

deb said...

What has amazed me is that it literally was a string. All in a row, not a one to interrupt the sequence. Very odd to have this happen (the neg. comments about the other tech from *every* customer).

Affirms that putting the customer first with honesty and sincerity combined with quality work pays. If not monetarily, with a good night's sleep and good vibes.