Sunday, February 10, 2008

Last Week/This Week

Thought I'd take a few moments to post some updates.

A few days ago I posted about the prescription insurance plan mess that I have been trying to sort out for my mom. I can't remember at the moment what day I made the 2.5 hours worth of calls, but I was supposed to hear back from THE company (Lucent) within 48 hours.

Nothing the next day.

Second day rolls around. 47th hour rolls around. Same women at the benefits center that had been soooo rude managed to call with 10 minutes to spare before the deadline. And what does she tell me? She has researched the matter and will be in touch with Medco (the plan that should have been canceled 6 weeks ago). We should hear 'something' within 5 business days! I politely verbally assaulted her for the lax attitude on the part of Lucent, the poor manner with which this was being handled, blah, blah, blah. She again implied that I hadn't spoken with the correct Medco. I was furious but kept my cool as she continually repeated the one-liner, "I understand your frustration, ma'am". Oh, she has no idea. As soon as this is resolved the Lucent benefits center will be getting a formal letter of complaint about her. Yes, I have her name.

I called Medicare, once again. They have now filed grievances against Medco and notified Humana of what's going on. They have also submitted the paperwork for retroactive re-enrollment with Humana. They estimate a 15 day response time.

Meanwhile my mom is having to pay out-of-pocket for her prescriptions. The pharmacist told her that they are only allowed up to 14 days for resubmitting.

Heads are going to roll.
***********************************

One of the gifts that Amanda got for Christmas from my mom was a subscription to TV Guide. My mom paid in full for a year's worth. She just got a bill claiming that she still owed over $16. I looked in to it and discovered that they were trying to sneak in an additional 28 weeks. Today I copied all the receipts and her canceled check and wrote them a note. Sheesh.
***********************************

The weather has been snowy and cold. My arthritis is really acting up with shoulder pain, left wrist pain, right elbow, and now terrible pain in the 'ball' of my left foot. When I get up in the morning I can hardly bend that foot to walk. Doesn't hurt if I curl my toes the opposite direction, though. I let a very hot shower pound my foot and tonight it's a bit better. I hope it lasts through to morning!
***********************************

This Wednesday is the day of dread. Amanda has to be at the oral surgeon at 9 a.m. to have two impacted wisdom teeth extracted. I keep telling myself that I WILL survive it.
***********************************

Beginning tomorrow and lasting for however long it takes, I'll be looking for a little part-time job. This is a traditionally slow time of year for piano work and combined with the troubled economy, it's even worse. So I'm looking for a way to earn a tad more. Things will be tight until my truck is paid off next November. Thankfully, I got a couple new tuning customers in the last week and I'm going to look at a repair job Monday morning. So far this week there will be two key jobs, one of them extensive. I refuse to have to worry about money and the logical solution is, of course, to supplement my self employment income.

3 comments:

Little Wing said...

I can feel your frusteration over that insurance business, or should I say LACK of business. Can't ANYONE do their job anymore?
Good luck to you and Amanda this Wednesday.
Good luck on a part time job.
Hope you start feeling better real soon, hang in there, spring will show up eventually.
Bless you!

Anonymous said...

B said that we have to 'cut back' so she has stopped me going to the local. So far this year, this has saved us £300!!! Honest. Looks like I'm doomed now! I guess we hadn't really thought about how much the dreaded beer costs. Have now!!

deb said...

Thanks LW. I'm crossing all fingers and toes. Usually, if I just get on with life and stop stewing things work themselves out.

I'm a bit itchy about the part-time job. It's been over thirty years since I've actually gone applying!

Dickiebo, how I wish giving up the occasional beer would help (one every year or two!). It's actually the heating oil and fuel costs that are killing my budget.