Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Where In the World?

and other goings-on.

I took a few days off. Sort of.

This week being one of Amanda's vacation weeks gave us the opportunity to make the trip to 'the other' Cape, Cape Cod. It was an on again, off again kind of thing. The plans had been made long in advance - weather pending. I HATE driving in poor weather conditions. Particularly on the highway. By the end of last week they predicted that Sunday, Mother's Day, would be the one real diamond amongst coal. Monday and Tuesday were looking to be a nor'easter. We called and canceled our overnight stay at my cousin's house since the forecast looked so poor for a return drive on Monday. Canceled - weather pending. By Saturday the non-omniscient weather predictors had changed the outlook. No rain until late in the day on Monday. Back to the original plan! So we headed south to my cousin's and then she drove us all out to the cemetery to my dad's and aunt's graves. The day was beautifully sunny. A tad windy and the wind was cool. On the way back over the Bourne bridge, I tried to shoot some pics out the van window.
Looking north through the railing at the Cape Cod Canal.Looking south at a barge being towed through.And the bridge from a distance.
The drive back home on Monday was fine. Cloudy and very gusty winds, but no rain. By today the sun was out once more. Seems the big storm skirted south of us.

Today was special in two very different ways.
The first was a surprise in the mail.
About one month ago I had received a set of keys in the mail. The technician said he would be sending the prepayment check in a couple days. Nothing arrived and after a week or so I left him a message inquiring about payment. He left a message for me that he would forward his customer's check as soon as he received it, he had called to remind her. Well, I waited a couple more weeks and still, nothing. I left him another message last week and he never returned the call. I was beginning to wonder what to do about it, when today........the check arrived! No wonder it took so long to get to me..................................
He'd sent it to my street address, but he'd sent it to MS instead of MA. Mississippi rather than Massachusetts! It took being hand sorted to discover the mismatched state and zip code and then some detective work to decide which was correct. Thankfully there is no Rockport in MS. I got to work on his keys this morning while waiting for our afternoon treat.

This afternoon we got to meet the new owners of the Minoan! We had emailed back and forth a bit, and then as you know, I had posted some photos for them here on the blog. P and G arrived at the boat last Thursday evening (from England) and have been working hard to get her back in shape. They took today off to take the train to Rockport and visit. We had an enjoyable afternoon with them. First lunch at Ellen's (of course), then some postcard buying(by G) and a drive down Bearskin Neck and around town. We drove by Front Beach so they could see where the Minoan had been driven ashore in a northeaster in the fall of 1977. Then we all came back to the house for the photo album 'show and tell'. We hope they enjoyed their visit with us and that they will come back soon. P said he hoped to be able to come back before their return to England so they could explore the area some more. We think that would be great! We took them back to the train in the early evening and they headed back to the boat with all our best wishes for safe and fun sailing.

Wednesday is another partial day off. Some key work in the morning and then we'll be heading for an afternoon at the Moseley Estates (Maudsley State Park) and dinner at Skip's.

Thursday is a very full day of piano repairs and tuning, Friday and Sunday at Tuck's. I haven't a clue what may happen on Saturday but the weather sounds lousy!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Somehow my radar had you on Cape Cod. The pictures from the bridge are great! Glad you had a chance to get away and that the weather cooperated.

That is so exciting that the owners of the Minoan got up to see you, the town and especially the scrap books. They must have been so thrilled to see the pics of the makings and sailing of their purchase and to hear from you about your dad and his creation.

And today - you couldn't ask for nicer weather for your afternoon off. Does Skip's have anything vegetarian? Know that you must have enjoyed the day!

deb said...

Ummmm, yes to everything???!!!

I'll be posting about Maudslay State Park. Pics, I think, too.

Anonymous said...

Well? It's Saturday. So, how's the weather? Off to Ellen's I suppose!
Whilst you were away, Mary told me ALL about you! Ha, ha, ha. Now I know.

deb said...

Well, it is Saturday and it's raining. Just for this morning, though. Gee, do I feel old. A day of retail wears me out!

So, today...more key work and some errands. This week end is rather over-crammed with work as Tuck's is consuming Fri, Sun, and Mon. Plus I've got two sets of keys to get shipped out Mon. Shouldn't be as hectic after that.

BTW, Mary doesn't know half of it...

Linda Ball said...

Thanks for updating us on your whereabouts. Inquiring minds and all that.

deb said...

I've been meaning to get a post written but I'm sooooo tired by night fall that it just doesn't happen!

Soon, though. I'm still reading everyone, just not getting chance to comment so much.