Wednesday, November 03, 2010

For the Love of Maps

Wednesday mornings I volunteer in the research library of the Sandy Bay Historical Society.  Today I needed to find an old map book.  Someone doing research had photographed an old map from the book and had forgotten to write down the source.  You know, book name, publisher, that kind of thing.  The old map books - atlases - are in the storage room.

It didn't take long to find the requested atlas.  Actually only one was even a possibility.

I got sidetracked, though.  I love maps.  I leafed through a few and then came upon a treasure.  Not only were there maps in George Walker's Atlas from 1879.  There were lithographs depicting prominent buildings in the various communities mapped in the book.  The lithographs were fascinating, exquisite. 

And I was thrilled to come across the page with this one:

Moulton's Castle, Newburyport.  Yep, THE Moulton's Castle.  I think the same lithograph that is reproduced in minuscule in the Maudeslay State Park brochure.

I got my jacket and my car keys and headed home for my camera.

I know.  It's just one of those things that fascinates me and probably very few other people.  Since this is my blog, I get to put it here!

3 comments:

far-away scribbs said...

Fascinates me, too! But then I'm easily distracted....ooooh, shiny!

Seriously, one of the things I saved from the wreckage of my library was three old (19th-Century) kids' geography books. Old maps are wonderful!

deb said...

I fear that printed maps will soon become a thing of the past...like so much else on paper...with GPS and such. I'm sorry, but I like to see where I'm going not just be told where to go!

(And I DO realize that I left the opportunity for comment WIDE open with my last sentence)

dickiebo said...

I do hope that you're NOT referring to Mom,dear! lol.