Monday, March 24, 2008

Who's Out There?

You just never know who may be reading. Sometimes it is amazing to hear from someone who's life has become, in a weird and detached way, part of your own life saga. This happened to me last week. Of course it was during a full moon. Isn't that when that kind of stuff happens?

Anyway, this is the tale. And Paul, this is for you if you are still out there.

On the night of the full moon I checked my email late. I couldn't believe my eyes. There on the screen was an email from an unknown address with the subject matter: Minoan. Paul had found me to tell me that he had purchased the 36 foot, ferro-cement sailboat that my father had built over 30 years ago. He was hoping for some pictures and also the construction dates. Some of the information that Paul gave about himself and the circumstances of his purchase made me suspicious (sorry Paul, the reasons are a very long story that are only barely touched upon in the archives of this blog). I took some time to check out his story. So far so good, therefore I am posting here.

The Internet certainly has a way of making a very small world. Consider the odds of Paul, from England, buying a 30 year old sailboat, in the states, built by my dad, ever being able to find me before the Internet. Not likely.

So for Paul, I would never be able to post (or email) all the photographs that we have of the construction of the Minoan. I'll post a few here with brief descriptions. If you want to see them all, you may get in touch when you arrive at the Minoan in May.

I'll start with the finish! Here's the Minoan sailing out of Rockport Harbor. And now for the start.......

In our backyard the wood lathe mold took shape.
The mold covered with a layer of polyethylene film, four layers of sparrow mesh, a grid of quarter inch steel rod, and another four layers of sparrow mesh. All stitched together with very long basting of wire to be less than 7/8ths of an inch in thickness. The area that would serve as the support for the rudder post included a welded steel channel structure. My dad was a firm believer in over-engineering.
Cementing day it was 90°F, the specialized mixture is completely forced through all the layers to stop at the polyethylene film barrier. It took over 12 hours and many hands - neighbors, friends, relatives, my dad's engineers, strangers. A reporter and photographer from LIFE magazine spent the day and we were featured in the September 1970 issue. They took over two hundred photos that day and presented us with a large (photos too large for my scanner) photo album. In the above photograph, all of the hull and deck have been cemented and the finish surface is being worked on. It 'cured' for 30 days, being kept damp with a perforated hose atop a complete cover of burlap bags under polyethylene. Then all the wood lathe mold was stripped out. Dragon Cement Co. (part of Martin Marietta Corp) came to do an interview and take photos for their company publication.
Time to roll it over! Here's the roll over crew. This was a nerve-racking day. There were some tense moments considering that the hull weighed approximately 5 tons! It was rolled over with a combination of twin wheels, railroad jacks (used to right derailments) and railroad come-alongs traveling through our cellar windows and attached to the support columns of the house.

So, for now, that's a hint at the construction of the Minoan. It was still several years from completion with all the cabin to build and all the essentials of engine, steerage, electrical, plumbing, standing and running rigging, ballast, sail design, and hundreds of details. Upon completion she weighed approximately 10 tons, had a full galley, head, and could sleep five very comfortably.

And how, you ask, does 10 tons of cement float?
Like a teacup..............displacement.

Maybe some more another time.

12 comments:

Linda Ball said...

Wow! What a story on all levels.

deb said...

Wow, back to you! I just posted and wham, your comment came through! I did do some editing immediately after I first published so there are a couple changes you may have missed in the timing of things.

Hard to write a synopsis of ten+ years without writing a book (lol).

Now I'm off to searching some of the names that this post has brought back to mind.

Anonymous said...

My first reaction was - THIS HAS THE MAKINGS OF A BOOK.

Do your synopsis but then go back and fill it in. This is fascinating and I know others -especially today's kids - will want to know how one makes a cement boat that really works. Forget "today's kids", I want to know all about it.

I know, I know, you have a job and many home responsibilities but what a tribute it would be to your Dad to have the venture captured between covers.

The public awaits . . .

deb said...

Well, I think it will have to remain between the covers of the photo albums! I'd bore the majority of folks if I got in to the day to day (or year to year) details! I do reserve the right to relate some details once in a while.

Going back through the photos I recalled some of the names of those people we met solely because of building the boat. I Googled a bunch and have found someone. He has a website and I plan on dropping him an email.

I'll let y'all know what happens.

Anonymous said...

That's a fantastic achievement, Deb. Was sailing his hobby? If so, how far would he go?
I built a toy boat once - put it in the water and it sank! And before you ask, 'Yes'. I do know all about 'When a body is immersed in a fluid...' etc. but it didn't help me!

deb said...

He loved sailing almost as much as building a boat!

His intentions were to sail to the South Pacific and then possibly circumnavigate. We were friends with the Griffiths, a couple who had rounded the globe 5 times. First with their wooden boat. That was lost on a reef in the S. Pacific and after a month-long salvage job while surviving on a prison atoll with the two prisoners sentenced to life, they then had the Awahnee built in New Zealand. The Awahnee was a 60+ foot, cutter rig, ferro-cement sailboat.

Anyway, health issues got in the way of big journeys. The largest/longest trip was sailing to FL from MA, living aboard for the winter in Stuart, FL, and then sailing her back. We did many coastal New England cruises, and of course day sails.

Sorry to hear your boat sank. How discouraging and obviously the reason you did not enlist for naval duty!

deb said...

Oh, and for next time, dickiebo....

There is the need to consider the ballast and displacement ratio.

Anonymous said...

Tee hee! Any boat of mine would certainly have no need for any added ballast!

deb said...

Less?
(you started this, not me!)

Anonymous said...

And to think that I just called you the 'strong, silent' type! Huh!

deb said...

You just never know about some people! (I *was* following *your* lead)

Anonymous said...

ah at last, I found your article once again. You have few useful tips for my school project. This time, I won't forget to bookmark it. :)