Saturday, March 15, 2008

Sleep Starved Saturday

It began very late Friday evening. I had checked my email and then relaxed in bed with a book. I was trying to read and watch a little television at the same time. My eyes ached to close and finally, at 11 p.m., I gave up and turned in for a good night's sleep.

But I didn't. Sleep, that is. Thoughts kept rolling around in my brain about how on earth I was ever going to get everything accomplished that I needed to. My own stuff is pushed further and further back as Amanda and Mom add more to THE list. Vacations loom for Florida in May and NYC in June. Amanda wants the Florida trip and mom wants NYC. Neither will do the actual planning to make either happen. Then there's the PT job search and how will I work a new job in with the other's vacation time. An enormous yard sale and the minimally monthly arts and craft fairs. And on and on to the point that it was just about 12:30 a.m. when I started to get that warm and cozy dozing off feeling.

Until I was awoken abruptly by Amanda calling me. She was sick and needed some medicine. She didn't know where it was. I couldn't get back to sleep and the rest of the night became a drawn out ordeal of nearly dozing and being startled back to consciousness hearing Amanda up and down all night. At 6 on Saturday morning I looked at the clock. The sun would be coming up soon. Wham! I awoke at 7:30. That would be all the sleep I would get. An hour and a half.

Amanda has been sick all day and called in to work. She spent her day between reclining in bed and the bathroom. I've tried to keep going, albeit slowly. I worked a little on the reed organ and painting. I ran errands to the library and the grocery store. I got mom started with reupholstering the padded lid to her hamper. Mostly I worked on display set-ups for the fairs. I decided to try out the displays while taking a photo of all the paintings so far. Mom and I spent 10 minutes or more arranging so every painting would show in the photograph. It was late in the day and I was tired. One painting got left out and I didn't notice until I had put them all back in their storage/transport box. I'm temporarily switching from painting 5 X 7 to painting miniatures displayed on their own easels. There is one example in this photo on this post. It's been a long time since I have 'done art' to sell rather than just 'done art'. I'm hoping to have a dozen or so easel minis ready for May.

After a lackluster dinner of grilled cheese and french fries, I propped myself on the sofa with my book and a PBS program on Doo Wop, then a couple of house flip shows. When I finish this post, I'll check my email and go back to reading. Then it's bedtime for me and I so hope a good night's sleep.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Snap, Deb. It's now 0555 Sunday and I've been up since goodness knows when, cos I can't sleep! When B gets up & finds me on the blog, she'll think I'm going 'round the bend!'

deb said...

Sorry that it was contagious.

I did have a wonderful night's sleep last night, so there's hope.

Anonymous said...

Pray what do you mean...'Now perhaps you'll listen'?
Anyway, that's all we ever do....listen!

deb said...

Heehee. Cross commenting. No one will understand what you are talking about!
For the others...dickiebo had a survey on his blog and recently posted the results. I made the comment, "Now will you listen?"
To your reader's desires, dickiebo.
(Yes, I know you do. Why the survey? Didn't you do the same not too long ago?)

Anonymous said...

Yes, and if I remember correctly, only 5 people answered on that occasion! Bleedin' meanies! (Not you, por supuesto!) lol.