Sunday, February 01, 2015

Cold is Relative

In an effort to keep writing something on this blog, I make changes to the look, edit my blog list, add some photos, and now I've changed my Recent Reads. 

The book is a fascinating read.  My kind of thing.  Subtitled The Doomed 1913 Voyage of the Karluk, it is history without being, you know, so many names and dates with no story.  Anyway...the story is of a 1913-14 scientific exploration well into the Arctic.  The sailing vessel is trapped in the ice and 'goes with the floe' eventually to be crushed and sink.  The men, woman, and two small children escape the crushed and sinking ship to have to survive the winter on the ice and later on a small island before any hope of rescue can arrive.  Chilling (haha) account that makes our horrible weather seem mild in comparison.

No comments: