Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Those Tax People

Yesterday, I shipped out two sets of completed keys and went to a customer's house to return keys that I had rebushed. That left today a bit open to catch up on a few things that needed doing. I've got 3 more sets of keys on the way here and also some birthday shopping that will have to get done within the next two weeks (Mom's and Amanda's) so I knew I had to cram a lot of small stuff into today. First, I got some supplies ready for my tuning/repair job tomorrow, then I did some more damaged veneer removal on the melodeon job. That stuff is really glued down well and is taking quite a bit of careful dampening and then scraping. I've almost got it all off now. Maybe another couple hours of scraping! I called the piano parts supplier and ordered more keytops and straightened up the shop a bit.

And then, this afternoon I wrote my letter to the Massachusetts Department of Revenue! Here it is........


April 3, 2007



Massachusetts Department of Revenue
Refund Review Unit
200 Arlington Street Room 4300
Chelsea MA 02150


This letter is in response to the Notice of Intent to Assess that I received at approximately 12:00 p.m. on March 28, 2007. Copies of the Notice and the Response Form are attached to this letter.

At 2:13 p.m. Thursday, March 29, 2007, I telephoned the Department of Revenue's Audit Division and spoke with Andrew. I explained to Andrew, that although I have all the records of which copies are requested, the cost involved in making those copies and sending them to the Refund Review Unit would exceed the refund amount that I am due.

Andrew explained that there would be no penalty in not providing the copies requested and that sending this explanatory letter would be appropriate.

Therefore, I will not be furnishing the copies due to the costs of photocopying and mailing exceeding the refund amount that I am due.

Respectfully,


So there it is. My be nice and polite letter in response. That's the one I'm sending. It's NOT the one I would like to have written to send. They would not look kindly upon me for what I would have liked to have written. Use your imagination.

No comments: