Monday, May 07, 2007

Multitasking

Sorry about the title to this post. Either creativity escapes me or there was just too much to include in one title.

So.....

For Dad.
Thursday afternoon I headed to the local Ace Hardware and Smith Lumber. I bought 3 - Pressure Treated (PT) 2X4X8s, 2 - PT 1X6X8s, 1 - PT 4X8X three quarter ply, and 3 - joist hangers. I was home and had everything unloaded by about 3 p.m. Work began on another ramp. This one is (semi) permanent and will allow my dad to get out to the car without having to deal with the stairs. Right now he can manage the ramp with his walker. Later he'll use a wheel chair. I finished the ramp construction that same afternoon and was amazed that my body would move the next morning. 3/4 pressure treated plywood is HEAVY! Here's a picture of dad's ramp.
The section of fencing at the deck end is actually a gate that swings inward. Since this picture was taken, I have also cleaned up the street end of the ramp and gotten rid of the pile of dirt. The ramp is level with the edge of the decking, although in the photo it has the illusion of being "off" a bit.

------------------------------------

A Friday treat.
Friday afternoon I had an appointment to look at a large Estey organ. The owner was not interested in having it restored. She wanted it to be removed to a good home. Off I trekked to find the Norton Farm. What a surprise of a place. I drove to Bayview and per my instructions turned on to Brierwood Road, just before the Bayview Fire Station. The road wound up between some new, some old, homes and joined Revere Street where I turned left. Revere Street soon became very sparsely settled and then turned to a one car width, gravel lane. Hmmmm...winding among forest and not a clue where I was yet no way to turn around even if I wanted to. The narrow dirt lane led between two wooden posts. One had a sign saying something about an alarm and the Norton Farm. WOW! The forest opened up to a sunlit acreage that was stunning. A large saltbox style home was to the left of a circular drive and a sturdy barn to the right. As a drove around to park in front of the house, I noticed the granite chapel "addition". Complete with floor to ceiling paned windows on the northeast exposure and tall, narrow stained glass windows on the southeast side.

The Estey was in the chapel, of course! Not really a chapel, just styled as such. Down narrow granite stairs into one large room, complete with massive fireplace, cathedral ceilings, and of course the organ. The room was used for entertaining during the spring and fall only as it is too hot in the summer, and no heat for the winter. The organ would need a lot of work and will have to be taken apart to get it out of the room. I'm looking for a prospective home for it. But what a lovely place hidden in the woods of Dogtown.

-----------------------------------

A surprise for me!

When I got home from church on Sunday, I heard my neighbor call to me. Barbara, the wife of our retired police chief (coincidence, dickiebo) was heading across her lawn in my direction. She had been out garage/yard sale shopping the day before and found.........................


A chubby Statue of Liberty for me.
I'm always amazed that there are so many different versions. This one reminds me of Friar Tuck as Lady Liberty!

2 comments:

dickiebo said...

I followed your directions, Deb, Brierwood Rd, Revere St., then follow the trail. See what you mean. Some area. But - Dogtown is shown as much further South!! Couldn't figure that. (Not really surprising - bit thick!)
Very enjoyable reading - the story of Dogtown. Gosh, makes us realise just how hard things were in those days. Boiled cabbage a delicacy almost! I don't think so.

deb said...

Yeah, well, I probably should have said "on the edge of Dogtown". Dogtown Common is only a little farther south. Maybe about a mile, mile and a half. I generally think of everything in the center of the island as Dogtown. Did you check out the satellite view of the island? I spend hours browsing around.

And I love boiled cabbage!