Friday, April 23, 2010

Progress...

is being made in the research department! I've finally got a good grasp on William N. Manning's genealogy. Well, at least those that came before him, his children and grand-children have yet to be discovered by me. Not that much of the family relationships are really relative to the story that I will be writing, but it gives me a sense of Billy's lifestyle, temperament, and the influences on his life choices. I received an email from a distant, 'sideways' relative of Billy's and will be checking out some of the resources at the hysterical (oops, did I say that?!) historical society for their genealogical research. My journey has found far more information than I expected was available about a far more complicated man than I anticipated. Now I am trying to finish the expedition in to Manning's history with what is left in the present day.This picture shows the Railroad Avenue shop where Manning had his second store and repair shop. Billy and his second wife, Louise, lived above the shop until Billy died at age 96. The building has just been restored in the past 5 years or so. (Update: This is not the correct location. The building is actually across the street. Leave it to Rockport to have changed the numbering. Evidently some things were numbered sequentially regardless of which side of the street. Now everything has been switched to an odd/even system). Now I need to find out where number 38 Main Street was located in 1870. Not an easy task as the numbers have been reallocated several times over the years. 38 Main Street is where Manning's first shop was located.I'm looking forward to another Monday morning of research.

2 comments:

Bob B. said...

Make that William "Billy" Norwood Manning. I'm finishing up on some of his line, including siblings, children and grandchildren from is first marriage. I'll forward/talk to you before Monday. Thanks for the "sideway's" cousin mention.

deb said...

Yes, and Norwood opens a whole other can of worms in this community!

I'm tough to get in touch with on the phone. Especially this weekend - my daughter's (A's) birthday today. Email will work great, or phone if you are lucky!

As to the mention - I do not actually identify anyone (living) by name, on the blog, unless I have permission from them or they have made themselves known, as in Bob B. (never full names, see reference to my daughter, above)

Soon...