Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine's Day

A very brief explanation...

Back in the 1950's my mom and dad invited their best friend couple to come and live with them while the best friends were looking for an apartment.  My dad and Earle worked together at Western Electric.  Mom and Priscilla had been friends since high school.

While living together at my parent's house, Valentine's Day rolled around and Mom and Pris baked a heart shaped cake while Dad and Earle were at work.  They were thrilled with it and could hardly wait for their husbands to get home.

This poem was written [by Mom (and me)] as a remembrance for Priscilla and Earle's 50th wedding anniversary book.
(Please excuse the punctuation errors and various other glitches...our typist at the time was volunteered for the job and kind of messed up a bit.)    


4 comments:

scribbs, the sentimental, said...

Maybe putting the cake in that Cushman's box wasn't such a hot idea?

I once gave a friend a watch for Valentine's Day. Put it in a box from a fancy jewelry store. Didn't stop her from looking closely at the watch and wondering why "Rolex" had a second "L."

P.S. I'm betting it was a wonderful cake. And a source of much fond reminiscence over later years....

deb said...

Hmmmm, somehow I don't see you being that deceptive.

"Fond reminiscence"? Good for some timely jabs.

dickiebo said...

Very good, Deb. I detect your artistry in those lines!

deb said...

What I can definitely say is that neither mom nor I should consider poetry writing as a career option.