Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Do You Have All Your Oars in the Water?

I'm dubious about this woman....................

I got two more sets of keys today. One expected, the other a surprise. The surprise was from a non-tech. I don't normally take in key work from non-techs. It's too much of a hassle for the price of the job. The one time I agreed to it was near disaster. Unfortunately, the classified ads in the PTG Journal (professional journal) are available online. Convenient for tech happy piano techs and usually not a problem, for me, with the general public as they haven't a clue how to get keys out of their piano.

Anyway, this box arrives. It's nearly falling apart. I didn't recognize the name on the return address. I opened the box to find a set of grand piano keys jammed inside in every direction. Marvelous, I thought, can't reship finished keys like that, I'll have to find a better, bigger box. That irks me right from the start.

Then I found this note inside in an envelope. I'll intersperse my thoughts as I read it, in color (like this).

Hello Deborah (Couldn't spell my name correctly but managed to get the address right),

I thought it would take forever to figure out how to dismantle my piano to remove these keys. I hope I can remember where all those screws go when it's time to put it all back together. (Oh no, not a piano tech.....Oops, you should have kept them in order and labeled them - good luck)

Enclosed is a personal check for $135 for the resurfacing of these keys. (Wonderful, it's an old price. Hasn't been that for over a year. Hope you included contact info and now I'm going to start wasting work time calling you to straighten it out) If questions arise that require my attention, my home phone number is (SNIP). If I'm not there, use my answering service and I will get back to you promptly. (Please be out when I call. I don't want to chat. Let me just leave a message about the price discrepancy. Then you can call me and leave a message. Really, I don't want to talk to you.)

We have eight-year-old twins who are studying music, and each kid has his own piano. They will have to take turns practicing this week, poor kids. (You send keys, unannounced, with the wrong payment, from halfway across the states, and you expect them to be back in your piano in a week? Don't think so. There are five other customers ahead of you.) Maybe this is a good time to learn some duets. (And find out how all those less privileged one piano households manage to survive)

I really appreciate your effort in making our old piano more enjoyable to play. (Gee, thanks) What will you do with the old ivory you remove? Black market? (You didn't really ask that, did you? Yeah, it's from your piano, if I sell it on the black market and should be caught, I may implicate you as an accomplice. Seriously, if you thought that I were dealing in the black market, why would you do business with me? Huh.) Ebay? (not worth the trouble) Just wondering. (And now I'm wondering about YOU) Hope all goes well with your work, and you'll be able to get the keys back to us soon.

(Did you ever think that I may be dead? on vacation? have sold the business? your keys could have been sitting on a doorstep in the rain for weeks? Don't you think calling ahead just might have been a good idea? Yeesh, lady.)

And an update............

I called. I got her (drat). I kept it simple. Told her the price had changed over a year ago. She said to "trust her", she's putting the balance in the mail tomorrow. I told her that her keys were in the work line up, thanks, bye.

I still can't believe she said black market!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

She would not have been allowed to say that in the UK. It would have to be a 'non-white market'!
BTW. Did Mary turn up at your last Sale? She's gone verrry quiet.

deb said...

Yeah. In the piano tech community we call used Yamaha pianos that are sold here but that were originally not meant for the US market, gray market pianos. No discrimination here! Not illegal, but.......

Yes, Mary and Beth came to the last sale. Beth stopped by here yesterday evening, too. My dear, you have been rather tough on Mary of late!

Anonymous said...

I'm here - just out straight with twice a week physical and occupational therapy for some neuropathy. Thank goodness the numbness is in my lower extremities and not in my head (te he!)

Finally getting the little boys into some sort of a summer routine. Just setting up the kiddie pool, slathering on sun screen, washing it off at the end of the day and trying not to melt in this humidity has been a challenge.

What ever happened to the days when folks sat and chatted on their front porches in the evening, caught fireflies, watched the sun set and the aurora borealis light up the northern sky?

Thought for the day:

WHY - do we kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?

PEACE!

Anonymous said...

Tough? I love her. She reminds me of my younger days as a cop - when Bruce Kent and the other 'Ban the Bombers' were demonstrating.
I've got a lovely photo of her with her CND badge on! Anyway, Mary hasn't got a blog to 'have a go' so I can take advantage!!!

Anonymous said...

Apology! In retrospect I think it was inappropriate for me to put that statement in my previous "comment" of today. If I want to take moral stands, I should acquire a blog of my own and not use yours.

Maybe someday when I have time to figure out how to acquire one and to make up a neat name. "Old bat" has probably already been taken.

Again, sorry for the soapbox oratory. Shant happen again.

deb said...

Okie dokie (grin) As long as you two are still friends I'm happy!

Mary, you may comment as you did at any time here. (Between you and me, dickiebo does!)

Anyway, my thoughts relative to a past blog dickiebo posted would be that if the likes of the Hitlers and Saddams of the world had been pacifists there wouldn't have been a need to stop them. And whether or not I am truly a pacifist is up for debate. I certainly think we have elevated the art of justification for attack to a new level in recent years and have attempted to hide our true agenda. But, I'm getting very close to the 'P' word!

BTW, just got home from car shopping with Mom at 11:30 pm. Feel like a survivor of a war of a different type.