Sunday, July 27, 2008

Hurry Up August

I'm ready to be rid of July.

July has been a month of extremes and I'm too tired for extremes.

As you may recall, I was swamped with work at the beginning of the month. A good thing but more equal timing would make me much happier. Nevertheless, paying work is always welcome!

I've installed three of the six replacement windows. I've had some words for each of the installations. Most of the poor language has been due to the fact that the guy that measured for the new windows did not leave enough 'wiggle room' in his top to bottom measurement. This has made for major headaches in fitting them.

Then there was the craft fair date change. No more to be said about that.

The same day as I found out about the above date change and had words with the organizer (seems to be a poor noun choice, oh well), I had asked a fellow employee at Tuck's if he would like to work my Sunday hours this week. (Today to be exact) He agreed. I was ecstatic. I was invited to attend a cookout and sing-a-long on Thacher Island. I was actually going to have a day of fun! Yippeeeeeeeeeeee!

You just know that can't last, right?

So, this morning I got everything together in a carry bag for my trip to the island. This WAS going to be a good time. The sing-a-long was to be accompanied by THE reed organ. I might have the chance to ride out to the island on the Ocean Reporter, a real workhorse of a boat for marine salvage, diving, and other heavy duty water work. Every girl's dream, right? (Told you I'm a bit different). Just after 11 a.m., my mom drove me down to T-Wharf. I knew better than to expect a parking space in town on a Sunday. There was a space! Mom parked and we got out, looking around for a familiar face. No one was around except BL and BS loading a mushroom mooring down to a work boat. Why wasn't BL on the Ocean Reporter? Maybe he wasn't going to help ferry the attendees after all. We wandered over to the yacht club to see if anyone was waiting around there. We got some glares as we walked through the club to the front porch. (We're no longer members, you see) One of the guys that had told me about the cookout and had sort of invited me was sitting on the porch. I asked when they would be starting out to the island.

Canceled. Nobody had let me know. Three different folks had known that I was planning on the trip. Not a word from any. Pfft.

Day off, half wasted. I went home and did chores.

Only four more days to survive this month.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's it, gal. Get it out of your system.
I can't help but feel sooo sad, at the thought of you and your litle carrier-bag, waiting for the 'boat' to go on a treat!! All on your own. Oh no! I'm falling off my seat! Oh, my ribs! Stoppit.
Poor li'l Deb.

deb said...

I am so touched by your sympathetic thoughts. (Now where is that little doll with the pins?)
:-O

Anonymous said...

I had to look twice there, gal. With my dodgy eyes, I had to check 'pins'!! Not arf! Thought it was something else for a min!

Anonymous said...

Ummm . .. did you find the little doll and stick pins in its three front teeth? Just when I was feeling sorry for Dickiebo.

Seriously, how come no one informed you of the change in plans? Add that person to the list of "incompetent" people you wish you did not know.

Have they planned an alternate date? That was disappointing for sure.

And D better watch out , , ,

Anonymous said...

I meant to say he better "watch out" since I'm sure you have more pins. IF not, stop by, I have a whole box of them here at the ready.

deb said...

Okay, I think I've finally caught up with the comments for today. Some came through as multiple copies.

Haha, dickiebo. Good try.

Mary, I'm at a loss for why no one mentioned it. Maybe they thought word of mouth had reached beyond the yacht club (I think most of them are members). I haven't heard of a new date. Will not take any more time off work if it happens to be on a Sunday or Monday. I'm beginning to feel like I should just become a hermit...no expectations.