Friday, July 04, 2008

Blog is Begging

I've been putting off and putting off writing a post. Mostly because I've been very busy and by the time I get enough blogging time....I've fallen asleep. Yep, I'm worn out.

So, I'll try to catch up with a few things tonight. Can't sleep as it's Independence Day celebrations. No private fireworks are legal in Massachusetts. This must explain the multitude of explosions shaking the house. Nothing quite like the smell of explosives on a cool summer night. Can't arrest half the town, I suppose.

Well, I guess I'll start with today and work backwards. I took a drive to Lanesville this afternoon as there was a rumor about an unusual topper for their annual bonfire. You might notice a grand piano sitting up there. It used to belong to a customer of mine. After I condemned it and he bought a replacement, he needed to find a convenient way to dispose of the original. This evening, Mom and I went downtown for the Rockport Fireman's Parade. Amanda doesn't like parades so she stayed home. I don't know, but the parade seemed to lack something this year. We had chowder at Ellen's after the parade and then came home, skipping Rockport's bonfire. Like I said, I'm tired.

*******************

Awhile back we took three days to have a mini-vacation up in North Conway. We didn't know that it was also 'biker' week! I've never seen THAT MANY motorcycles in one locale. All in all a very polite group. I didn't have my camera with me when we saw approximately fifty Harleys parked in a neat, shiny row in front of a children's store named "The Toy Shop". It just begged for a photo! The big touristy thing we wanted to do is take the Conway Scenic Railroad up through Crawford Notch. We've never done it and it looked like a super ride. We've seen the route from the roadway, trestles hanging on to the edge of mountains. Should have been a thriller - we were four days too early. We were there for Thursday, Friday and Saturday. The 'Notch Train' began running for the season on the following Tuesday. Drat. We had to be satisfied with a rather mundane valley train to Bartlett and back. Took a few nifty pictures, though, including this one of an abandoned passenger car. Some of the people that work for the scenic railway live in a Caboose Park near the station. Some of the old cabooses have been sidetracked and converted to seasonal 'homes'. A lady that was tending the gardens around the station gave us a tour of her caboose. One evening Amanda and I decided to walk to the Saco River along a well-tended path from our motel. We got this far before Amanda chickened out. Lions and tigers and bears, oh my!

******************

I must mention the latest Recent Read. "War Journal" by Richard Engel is a must read! Middle East politics and an inside view of the war in Iraq from NBC's Middle East News Correspondent. Richard Engel has live in the Middle East for 12 years, the past 5 in Iraq, is fluent in Arabic and writes a striking commentary on the political, religious, and military dilemmas of the region. Until reading this book, I never truly understood.

******************

Tomorrow is the second crafts fair and I'll find out if there is any interest in the painted on ivory necklaces that I'll be adding to my inventory. Per the norm, advertising for the fair is lacking.
Sunday and Monday will be working at Tuck's. Next week I have several tuning jobs and, of course, key work to finish up. Eight sets came in this week! Mom wants to start looking for a new car and that requires my presence, and the lawn needs mowing again.

Did I mention that I'm tired?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I reckon that Mandy 'n Mum could do the grass! As a famous UK Supermarket says, "Every little helps." Be firm, Deb.
One day, I'm gonna be firm!! - The day before I die!! I did try it once before but........decided that I didn't enjoy sleeping in the railway arches! Was quiet, though!