Thursday, July 24, 2008

Incompetence

or......the end of paying with frustration for a bit of fun.

The Old Firehouse Craft Fairs are expensive for table rental. Higher than most other fairs around. The reasons I haven't minded are because it's right here in town and it's indoors. No worries about inclement weather.

On the very negative side. Not only is it expensive to rent a table, it is one of the most poorly publicized events that I have ever seen/participated in/whatever. Most of the townies don't even know it exists, never mind any tourists. Any customers exist purely by accidental wandering in as they 'tour' all the shops in town.

As I said in the title of this post - incompetence.

And now....

I was reading the little 'agenda' section of the paper when I noticed the usual tiny mention of the crafts fair. The next is scheduled for August 2. I won't be there as I have been frantically working on more necklaces, some with autumn themes and some for Christmas/winter. They won't be dry in time. I was astonished when the newspaper said that the following fair would be on August 31. That's a Sunday rather than a Saturday. The problem is that we were all given a schedule of the fair dates and that schedule lists August 30, the Saturday. Must be a typo in the newspaper, I thought. So I called the woman (above blog title applicable) who is in charge.

And I was told...

I changed the date because I decided to rent out the place to someone else for the 30th.

Yes, I'm furious and I told her so. She had a prior commitment for usage IN PRINT. No notification of the change. NOTHING. I can't just switch to Sunday. I work that day. I will not give up a day's pay and pay for an exorbitantly overpriced table rental. I'll never make THAT much at an UNADVERTISED NON-PROMOTED craft fair.

Suppose I had personally rented that facility for a function, would she then 'go with a better offer' and merely say sorry to me and offer to refund my deposit? I can think of many, many words that I cannot put in print to describe what I think of the situation.

So, the next definite opportunity that I have to sell at that fair in Rockport will be Oct 11. Assuming she doesn't change that at her whim.

I may just say "to !##! with it and her", save my rental fees of $50 per fair and use the money for the big three day, indoor event in Essex next spring.

Yes, I am fuming - big time.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you think the other craft participants caught the discrepancy in date? Is this person on the Fire House Board? If so a letter needs to be written to the board about the rude behavior of their representative. Also, G.S. is a board member. Her dad was also one of the old time firemen. She should know about the shoddy action and also lack of publicity in the past. It looks like a shameless way to make money for the Trust but not for the crafters.

deb said...

I'll email you privately about this as I don't want to use names here.

Later, as I'm off to pick up Amanda at the moment.

Anonymous said...

Also, isn't there a big craft fair at the school in October or November? I don't know who you have to be to participate, but I seem to remember individual crafts people there...

deb said...

At RHS? I'll check there as soon as possible. I would definitely be interested in participating.

deb said...

Oh yeah, Mary...I seriously doubt that any of the others have seen (or heard about) the change. More than half are from out of town and I doubt they would notice the small print of it in the Rockport agenda. I'm sure 'the person' just plans on mentioning the change at the next fair. OK, maybe I'm not so sure she'd even do that.

Anonymous said...

Calm down, calm down my dear! I once wrote to the Gloucester Times complaining about their treatment of you. Do you now want me to 'speak to' this infernal woman?
PS. Is Mary saying that you are crafty?

deb said...

Thanks luv, you have given me my first smile for the day! And you'd feel like you would be beating your head against a brick wall trying to 'speak' to that woman!

Mary knows me well, but I'm not sure she was implying that
:D