Sunday, May 30, 2010

While Disconnected

Finally. I got a phone call on Friday evening from my computer guy. My PC was set to go, all sparkly and updated with the latest anti-virus and spyware. Yes, I could do this myself, but I would spend more money. That's right, it costs me less to have it done professionally than to buy the updates myself!

Anyway, when I dropped PC off to ACC (my computer wiz), he asked how I was doing. "I'm feeling a bit disconnected," I replied. And I did, feel that way, that is. Now, I did have my little, cranky laptop and I checked email twice each day and read some blogs. Everything took many times longer on that little laptop. It wasn't happy. I talked to it quite a bit, not always nicely. But it and I survived the four days and now we are both happy. I have PC back and laptop gets to sleep in it's dark, zippered bag, tucked away in the corner of my closet.

Some interesting stuff happened while I was feeling disconnected. The manager of that East Gloucester restaurant called for the annual pre Memorial weekend tuning. I always dread that job. Rarely is there a parking spot nearby, the piano is a nightmare to get into with it's over sized, artist palette painted lid that requires three people to slide it tailwards and balance on a couple bar stools. Then there's the manager...
Amazingly, I was able to park nearly in front of the building. Amazingly, the piano was not too terribly out of tune so I wasn't quite so nervous about that precariously balanced lid. Amazingly, the manager...well some things don't change.

I had a surprise call this week. Some of you who have been reading here for awhile might remember a certain problem with a local tech. Well, said tech called me and came very near to apologizing. Sort of spewed compliments rather than sorries, but was trying to communicate the same message which, ultimately, was that my services were needed. I'll give most anyone a second chance and I agreed to the job. Keys were dropped off on Friday and it is a decent amount of work to be completed in a week. Tech has already called trying to change things around but I'd gotten too far into the job. Iffy that I'll consider any more work for this tech in the future after seeing and hearing the tech on Friday.

Saturday was my first craft fair of the year. I was not very optimistic about the entire endeavor and was feeling like I'd made a mistake signing up for the fair. I felt even worse when I saw the turnout of participants. The organizer remarked that only seven had signed up. That was going to look very unattractive to shoppers. Then, as the opening time passed, it was obvious that two participants were no-shows. Only five tables! A little pottery, some photography, beaded jewelry, doll clothes, and my miniatures and ivory jewelry. I pretty much figured I would be taking a loss. But, somehow, I sold stuff! There was never an enormous crowd. People just trickled in and out. Every once in a while there were a dozen or so folks at a time. But, I sold stuff! Two easel miniatures, one pair of earrings, and eleven necklaces. I still can't believe it. And the rain even held off until I had packed up, rolled my belongings to my truck on T-Wharf, and loaded up.

This week I'm building a seven foot rocket. Don't worry, it's inoperable.

5 comments:

elizabeth down the street said...

Too bad you didn't get to see Mary in her bunny suit with the space crew labeling! We settled for the boys holding their posters relatively still

deb said...

She's saving it for the parade?

The boys did a great job. So serious!

dickiebo said...

Deb!!! Have you been 'eyeing-up' the boys?

deb said...

Well, they are adorable at 5 and 7 years old.

Am I close on the ages, Elizabeth?

elizabeth down the street said...

eRight on the money! The younger one will be six "next" month (by the time you moderate, it'll be next!)...