Saturday, January 10, 2009

Anticipation

By mid-week the forecasters were predicting snow for today. I was alternately relieved that 'A' had the day off so I wouldn't have to worry about driving her to work and cringing at the thought of an entire day relatively housebound. No worries. As per the norm, the forecasters didn't have a clue. My next career is going to be a television meteorologist. Excellent pay and you only have to be right 25% of the time.

Anyway...

By the end of the week they had changed the predictions. Snow would be moving in to our area at 7, 8, 9, or even 10 o'clock, or so, Saturday night and hanging in to dump anywhere from 7 to 10 inches, depending, throughout most of Sunday. Should be moderating to just snow showers by early to mid afternoon on Sunday. Naturally, 'A' is working on Sunday, 3 - 8 p.m.. Do you think the roads will be clear?

Maybe.

This morning 'A' and I headed for the bank, the gas station, and then the mall. I needed to buy packing tape (how exciting) and some photo paper for some 8 X 10 work I'm doing. 'A' bought entertainment. A few CDs and a DVD.

Got home, had lunch, and then took my mom to Ace for a new bedroom doorknob (they didn't have what she wanted) and an outdoor thermometer. Came home and froze my little fingers mounting the thermometer which was reading 24°F. Screws just don't like to go in to frozen pressure treated lumber! Once that was finished (with only one knuckle gouged) we all headed for the library. Both my mom and I each got two books and 'A' got a Beatles anthology CD. A quick stop at a crowded grocery store and it was back home for us. The idea was to park my mom's car well over in her parking area so that I'd be able to use the little snowblower on her drive tomorrow. That didn't happen. The parking area is sheer ice from the frozen drizzle of the other night. I'm afraid that I wouldn't get her car back out of there, 4-wheel drive or not! So I guess it'll be shovel, shovel, shovel tomorrow.

On a positive side are the two books to read. The first is entitled, We Bought a Zoo. The jacket says, "The amazing true story of a young family, a broken down zoo, and the 200 wild animals that change their lives forever." It's by Benjamin Mee. Sounds like a good one. The other is Liberty, by Garrison Keillor. And well, it's Garrison Keillor....and after all the title and me...

So now I'm armed and ready. Bring on the snow!

( although all would be forgiven if it doesn't)

No comments: