Saturday, January 03, 2009

I Am So Out of Touch

old train ironwork

I've been feeling that way for some time now. The more I hear and see the more convinced I am that I somehow don't quite fit with things anymore. A new online acquaintance and I touched on this subject just about a week ago. In our brief discussion I mentioned how much I enjoy owning, and using, a hand-crank radio. I absolutely love pumping a player piano. I gain pleasure in waving to folks I know. I try my best to be considerate of other drivers on the road, folks in line, other pedestrians on the sidewalk. I don't understand being tied to a cell phone or text messaging while hanging out with my friends. I have one credit card and it does everything I need it to do, and that's not often. I've never owned a house with more than 2,000 sq. ft. nor a luxury car. My living quarters have always been comfortable and filled with carefully chosen pieces and family items. No Rooms to Go for me. My vehicles have been dependable for getting me from one place to another (most of the time). I find more enjoyment in discovering unique and creative things than in elegant functions. Hidden treasures. I'd rather own things that I take care of and, if they break, I can fix them rather than throw away and buy new. I just watched a TV show where a couple was looking for a vacation home. They paid 1.5 million for a 5,000 sq. ft. VACATION home for TWO PEOPLE! Heck, I wouldn't want to have to take care of it! And what ever happened to young couple buying 'starter homes'? Now they want at least three bedrooms, three baths, an office, a 'guys' room, and more. Speaking of TV. I'm perfectly happy with my 19" color set and basic cable. I agree that flat screens are cool, but only because they are less aesthetically intrusive. If and when my 19" plain old set gives up, I guess I'll buy a flat screen, but no bigger please. Surround sound? Really, why? iPod? mp3? not me. I did give in a buy an inexpensive digital camera.

In business, I want to do what is best for my customer, not my pocketbook. Don't ever ask me to sell something I don't believe in or to convince a customer that they need what I know they don't. I'm on time to my appointments and when I enter a customer's house, I remove my shoes. Especially with rain and snow!

I give when I can and try to take very little.

I try to be a good neighbor. Helpful, quiet, sociable.

I am so out of touch.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have Dickie's permission to go for a lie-down, Deb. Couldn't have picked a better day - 'tis the Sabbath, after all!

The Hudsons said...

You sound refreshing to me!