Friday, August 28, 2009

Day Off...Sort Of

Days off make me nervous. Now, I DO like time off, but I like to choose it, not have it choose me. Today, there was no paying work in the shop. The no pay part of that is what makes me nervous. Especially when my hours will be shortly shortening for retail. Well, being the type of person that needs to keep busy and not particularly feeling like tackling the list, I cleaned shop. Some of you have seen my shop in person, some have seen photos before, but for those of you who haven't, I took a couple post cleaning photos.This is the key work side of the shop with buffing wheels, bench, and hiding behind the white drawers, all the key machines. You can see the 'blue-topped' drill press down at the end. that is set up as a key wood resurfacing machine. The two double layered tables on the left are old, wheeled typewriter tables with a second shelf on top. They each fit a set of keys and are used for rolling sets from machine to machine as they are worked on.This is the player and reed organ side. You can also see the key machines on the left side. The bench about mid-photo is where I'm working on my player piano. The dark flooring seen in both photos in the key work area is made of interlocking one inch thick rubber matting. Great for standing for long periods and makes an enormous difference for my feet! This main work portion occupies approximately 1/3rd of the total space available. The rest of the cellar space is used for painting (Cellar Studio), ordinary construction and destruction aspects of a home workshop, storage, laundry, and furnace (and oh yeah, 'A's treadmill).

I really love cleaning the workshop.

5 comments:

Scribbs said...

Nice! If the place was a little bigger and had a higher ceiling, it might make a decent organ shop! ;-)

Bernard said...

You love cleaning workshops?

You're hired!

deb said...

Hmm, Scribbs, 1800sf, I could open up one end and get about 22 ft in height (cathedral ceilings upstairs)...

K-D, at what rate? lodging included? transportation? you're area of the country looks delightful!

Bernard said...

Your workshop looks very interesting especially if you click on the picture and enlarge!
Now I'm going to be nosey, and ask "What's 'in them bags' hanging from that beam?
And, Wot no tools left on the worktops? All nice and tidy on the wall racks.
No sawdust, no shavings...a nice clean shop.
I can see I'll have to show you how an untidy 'male' keeps a workshop.

deb said...

Gee, wish there were some very technical response to what's in the bags. However...a variety of things that I had no better place to store yet needed to be kept clean from general shop dirty dust. - backcheck leather, action cloth, spare buffing wheels, bushing cloth yardage...

Well, it is somewhat cleaned up. Tools (most, put away) the area was vacuumed (hoovered). You should have seen the mess beforehand! Plenty of sawdust, piles of tools, stray wads of newspaper. A disaster! I can only stand that for so long.