Friday, September 08, 2006

Extremes

What a week. While out walking, I ran into (no not literally) a woman that my daughter delivers newspapers to (they also see each other at the supermarket where my daughter works). Her first comment was "I really admire you." Huh? What did I do? Seems she thinks that I have done an amazing job with my daughter. This woman's expertise is in special education. Now, my daughter is 24, a high school graduate, no college, a little tech school. She's average. She has a real hard time learning stuff and it does take her extra time and a lot of repetition. She's a bit immature and does get frustrated very easily. Much of her immaturity and lack of self confidence comes from her dad disassociating from her when she was 10 years old. Okay basically he failed to be an adult, dumped emotional support and responsibility, and did as *he* pleased. To his credit, he did reliably pay child support. But that's all folks. When she reached "the age of majority" he totally vacated her life, no card for birthdays or Christmas, nada. She hasn't seen or spoken to him in nearly 14 years. That's got to be tough on her.

Anyway, to get off the negative....it made me feel super good that someone noticed what a great "kid" she is! And yes, I've worked my tail off for 24 years, 14 of them as the 24/7 parent, and I'm still doing it. She gets there...it just takes awhile!

So, that was the good start to the week.

Then there are Dads...mine was supposed to start radiation treatments for cancer in his left lung. The radiologist saw a questionable shadow in his right lung. So now my dad must have a biopsy of that before any decision on treatment is made.....A friend's dad was to start chemo this week. His doctor detected a blood clot and now my friend's dad must wait on the treatment for that, before he can begin treatment for his cancer. They were both in the ER on the same morning this week. Different hospitals. Too bad we don't live closer. I think they might enjoy each other's company. They share some similar interests.

Lousy mid-week.
Gets me wondering...how come some people struggle and struggle, work their hardest to be kind, thoughtful, and try to do the "right thing", but yet never seem to get "a break"? Every little thing comes at huge effort. Hmmm.

Small joy at the end of the week...I've got my computer back! I have found another service person who is reliable! Yippee! The company is US Computron.

No comments: