Wednesday, September 27, 2006

GRRRRRRRR

Okay, I should have seen it coming. Okay, I actually did see it coming, but being an optimist, I thought maybe it wouldn't. Ha, Ha. I was interviewed for a magazine story. Writer was all nice and pleasant....really. Everything went fine and I agreed to supply the documentation he wanted. I "blacked out" surnames and email addresses on the documentation since we had agreed that they would not be used. A few days pass and I get a request to use not only my surname, but that of another party. Well, first off, these folks knew from the start that I would not disclose "the other's" last name. So, I wrote and reminded the writer of that and that he could use real first names. Funny how his "Dear Debra"s became just "Debra:" when he wasn't able to get his way!

So, I've been "dumped" from the story. I'm okay with this. I was never positive that I would be included anyway. And, I was not all excited and hyped about ME being in a magazine story. Hey, if I was, I would have wanted my full name out there in bold print, right? It was nifty but nothing more than that. What I don't like is the language of the "dump" saying that legitimate magazines don't use fictitious names. Well, I said he could use my real first name (and the other party's), just if he needed a surname for any perceived reason he would have to invent one as he didn't have permission to use *MY* (or the other's) SURNAME. Geez...I felt like saying that any legitimate magazine would understand the need, in certain circumstances, for a person's well-being and safety. Besides, as I recall, many "legitimate" magazines *do* use fictitious names and they say why. Guess he thought I never read any mags.

I'm irritated, very irritated. Oh well, I'll get over it shortly!

2 comments:

Netcrimes said...

He's a moron. I'm going to contact the editor and let her know he changed his tune.

Anonymous said...

I think I know how you feel. Even now, 21 years later, whenever the media wants some comment from me re the abduction and probable murder of my daughter they "kiss up" . I will only grant interviews and answer questions if it can be educational. They DO NOT want that. They want sensationlism so they can sell newspapers. Consequently in articles I am protrayed as uninvolved and distant. I cannot win. Even when I have said something in the past, it is distorted by the young writer who doesn't have a clue about my situation. I could fill pages of the stupid questions they have asked and the off the mark conclusions they have made.

So your reaction to someone changing spots in mid stream is right on. I doubt the writer really cares about the story being a vehicle for important info - he does care that people get riled up and buy the mag. Yeesh

You've hit a hot spot for sure so I'll sign off before the keyboard burns up.