Thursday, September 28, 2006

The Good, The Mediocre, and The Ugly

The long title being, Some Great News, a Weird Road Trip, and Those Who Are Privileged (or at least think they are)

I'll start with "The Ugly" as I would like to end this post on a good note.

We have a group of people that we refer to as "privileged". You see them lots of places but most frequently in No Parking - Fire Lane(s). When I'm waiting to pick up my daughter at work, I see lots of them. They drive right in front of the store doors and park in the fire lane. Usually, one person will wait in the car while another runs in the store. I guess they feel better that they are "waiting" not "parking". I have seen some people literally park their cars there and leave them unattended while they shop. I was early for pick up the other evening so while I was making some phone calls, I watched. One couple was parked there for over a half an hour! How come they don't have to follow the rules like the rest of us? You've got it...they're "the privileged". They also see no need to wait their turn in line, use the appropriate traffic lane (then cut in at the start of another lane), or move in to a different lane AHEAD OF TIME when the sign says "Left (or right) Lane Closed Ahead, Merge". They fully expect that, because they are "the privileged" you will make exceptions for them. After all, you aren't "the privileged"!

The Mediocre or "A Weird Road Trip"

Well, summer is definitely over. We made the jaunt to "Skip's" for the last time this year. They are closing for the season on Sunday. "See You in the Spring" It took an amazingly long time to get there, today. We were aiming for a late lunch and got kidding that we may make it in time for breakfast....tomorrow. SLLLLLOOOOOOWWWWWW traffic, road construction, line painting for miles. We finally get clear of that and head for the Rocks Village bridge crossing the Merrimack River. Traffic stops. Huh? We wait and wait and wait. Some people give up and turn around. I have to be very desperate to do that. I'm one of those folks that as soon as I've reversed direction, to go the long way, traffic will start to move. Unbelievable! The bridge was actually being opened for a boat. We used to live nearby and had never, ever, seen that bridge open. It's a swing span...and a hand cranker. Three men on a capstan. Took forever to open and then close. The middle, swing span is actually paved in wood, and has been asphalted over. Anyway, we managed to finally get to "Skip's" and enjoy the last lunch of the season.

The Good!

I'll be servicing the Rockport Public School's pianos! Their current tuner took me to the schools on Tuesday to show me around and talk about the 8 pianos. I should be meeting with the head of the Music Dept. next week to iron out details and priorities. This is fantastic for me as it is so nearby. I've been getting a lot of calls that are really farther to drive than I would like. It's hard to schedule those around driving my daughter to and from work and helping out my folks. Especially now with my father looking at radiation treatment for cancer. What a blessing to have this come along.

So........Yippeeeeeeee!

No comments: