Saturday, September 23, 2006

Just some stuff

Seems the guys at the DPW have a great sense of humor. This sign was on our street several years ago. I thought it was rather clever, but, unfortunately their inventiveness was lost on most of the other residents. Nobody found it odd. Huh?


Okay, this strikes me as a bit odd, too. Is this where you turn to find out if you are male or female? LOL. Yes, I'm being weird. Yes, I *do* understand what it really means.

Maybe I'll start a collection of weird or clever sign photos. There was (or maybe still is) an auto body shop on the main road through Lee, NH called "Bump and Grind Auto Body". I always liked that one :-)

Onward...............................................

Rockport has a great social club. It's called the dump. Oops, excuse me, the transfer station. It is the place to see and be seen on Saturday mornings. Even politicians do the handshaking bit there. If there is a petition to be signed, you'll find someone with it at the dump. You can meet up with your neighbors, the police, the harbormaster, and every local business owner at the dump. No joking. I love it! And not just for the social aspect. They have a great metal pile to rummage through, a swap shop with good used items for free, and a book barn.

Furry friends.....................................

There are alot of dogs where I walk. A few cats, too. Cedar is a black lab who used to bark so viciously at me that I stayed clear. Now he barely lifts an eyebrow when I'm near. I always try to stop and talk sweetly and rub his head. Then there is Fiona. Oh my! Fiona is a Basset Hound that is in love with me. She is always overjoyed to see me and if I don't get over to her quickly enough (daydreaming generally), she starts with a sorrowful whine. Her whole body just wriggles with excitement and she eventually plops down and rolls onto her back so that I can scratch her tummy. Another house has P Kay, Taz, and Baron. P Kay is a darling English Staffordshire Terrier. She is quiet and just comes to the fence to say hi and lick my hand. Her step-sister Taz is part Chihuahua. Taz really likes me but doesn't like to admit it. She yaps and barks, but once she sees it's just me, she turns around and walks away. Once in a long while I can coax a lick. The new "kid", Baron, just hasn't a clue! He barks and barks and only stops when I'm out of sight or he is scolded by his owner.

And now, yippee, it's off to the dump.

To the dump, to the dump, to the dump, dump, dump (read very quickly!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We sing that song weekly for the kids as we empty wastebaskets, diaper pails and you don't want to know what else! I think the tune we sing it to is the William Tell Overture? My kids grew up with it as one of our family songs and now the grandkids are learning it. How classical of us. Glad to read that you know it also.

I luv the idea of signs with ambiguous meanings or totally off the scale in weirdness. I shall be on the lookout for some for your collection.

deb said...

There is something very strange that we both associate that piece with "the dump". I remember my first husband mentioning that there is a similarity to a line in a Kurt Vonnegut book. I've yet to be curious enough to go on a hunt for it! Anyone?