Monday, January 28, 2008

And On It Goes

Last week Amanda started having some tooth pain. Honestly, she hadn't seen a dentist since we moved here. A combination of lack of insurance, lack of funds, and high anxiety (really). Anyway, the discomfort was enough that she asked me to make an appointment for her. I told her it was a good thing, she would be glad to get back to just routine visits and her anxiety would pass as the routine became, well, routine. Her appointment was this afternoon.

But first...

Mom decided that she wasn't feeling well. She'd been complaining (they both complain of all their various aches to me, a convenient yet not overtly sympathetic ear) on and off for a couple days. She works herself up to near panic (and I wonder where Amanda learns it LOL). So today she called the doctor and got a morning appointment. She said she felt bad enough that she needed me to drive her. Ok. We went. They did a couple tests (of which she got the results later in the day - all negative). On the way home she wanted to stop and have lunch out. I refused. Seems if she felt bad enough that she needed to see the doctor on call, and needed me to drive her, that lunch out shouldn't be a consideration.

By the time Amanda's appointment got near, she too was in a panic state. She begged me to go in to the dentist's treatment room with her. Not a chance. I reassured her that all would be fine, she probably was suffering because of lack of routine cleanings. Blah, blah, blah. Off she went. An hour later out she came...with the dentist. Crap.

Seems she needs two wisdom teeth extracted. They are impacted. Thus the reason for the pain. Oral surgery will be scheduled soon. AND, tomorrow she's got another appointment for a routine cleaning, and next week it's two small cavities to fill.

Don't know what will be up with my mom and her ailment. I assume that will play out over the next few weeks as well.

I'm too tired for this.

Did I mention we had more snow on Sunday?

I'm beginning to feel like whining and I hate whining.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

A good stiff drink is called for, Deb. No. Maybe 3 good stiff drinks! Now calm down, dear, or you'll be the next needing a doctor - with high BP.

Little Wing said...

Deb I had wisdom teeth removed when I was 21.
All I can say is OUCH!!!!!

deb said...

I had all four impacted wisdom teeth extracted...all at once. Figured I'd just get it over with! Did an overnight in the hospital and a week of rest. Really didn't bother me. I was 21 as well.

Her consult is Friday afternoon and then we'll see when they'll do it. I'm dreading the next few weeks of A's obsessive worrying and whining.

On the upside, sort of, my mom's pain has gone away. To be replaced with "why am I so tired?" Gee ma, don't know. I guess that makes me totally exhausted.

Little Wing said...

Here where I live, they remove wisdom teeth on an out patient basis.
Knock you out, destroy your mouth and send you home with a driver.
What I remember is the dry pockets that resulted...OOOOOH that hurt so bad!!!!!

deb said...

Long, long ago when I had mine done, nobody had dental insurance...so to get it over with and have four taken out at once it was paid for by medical insurance with an overnight stay.

A will have it done in the oral surgeon's office.

Anonymous said...

Yikes. I can hardly sit in the chair to have my teeth cleaned! My best calming thoughts are being sent to Amanda.

My teeth are on edge just reading all this. I am going back to looking at the beautiful paintings and relax. Great job, Deb!

Spring will come. Jan and Feb are the worst months of the year and all the aches and pains seem to increase. I have had it with the damp and cold and dreary landscape. Bring on the leaves, flowers and resulting allergies! :-)

achoo

deb said...

I couldn't agree more, Mary.

BTW, I haven't forgotten about Sat.!