Tuesday, January 01, 2008

New Year's Rockport

The forecast called for 5 - 10 inches of snow. Starting Sunday late night and continuing in to the early afternoon hours of New Year's Eve day. It wouldn't be the first time that Rockport celebrated New Year's Eve with the cold, white stuff. I remember two years ago, upon returning to my truck to drive home just after midnight, finding large round 'eyes' drawn in the snow on the windshield. Cute. Wonder who did that?! I went to bed Sunday night anticipating lots of snow shoveling Monday. It had already started at 10 p.m. Our weathermen have been far less than accurate this year and I could envision the drifts that I would awaken to on Monday. Oh well, can't stop nature.

It was gray and dismal in my bedroom when I woke up. Oh dear, I wonder how much fell during the night. I looked out the window to well under zero inches of snow! It was raining lightly over the minimal flakes of the night before creating just a few spots of slush on our road. The lawn was still green! Yippeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!

Instead of shoveling, I spent the day taking down the Christmas decorations at my house, went to the bank and did a couple other errands. At 5 p.m. I dressed my warmest to head down to town to volunteer for "New Year's Rockport Eve". I was looking forward to hearing The Bullock Brothers perform again, and also Tamarac. Two of my favorites from New Year's past.

The Bullock Brothers performed two sets beginning at 6 p.m. and per their norm brought the near capacity house down. While there are usually about 10 performing at any given time, the 'Bullock entourage' is more than double that figure . This year four generations participated! Here's a synopsis of their page in the official performance booklet:
The Fabulous Bullock Brothers is a gospel group of brothers, fathers and sons led by the Rev. George Bullock. They formed in 1950 and continue a Gospel singing tradition passed on to them from their father, known as "Singing Walter", as he traveled the Revival Circle in their home state of North Carolina...Their harmonies and vocal styles preserve southern black church traditions...they received the "Living Legends Award" by the House of Blues.

Last night I bought two of their CDs. I'm listening to one of them now.

The second two set performer was Jeffry Steele, a classical guitarist playing a program of movie themes. He was a stark contrast to the energy of the Bullock Brothers. Although extremely proficient, his quiet, sit down style seemed a little dull for New Year's Eve. He played to a less than half full room. It was so quiet and quite by accident was timed with the free-for-all drum and kazoo parade winding it's way through town!

The final two sets for this venue (there were 15 performance 'halls' for the evening) was a folk duo called "Tamarac". They mix performing favorite folk songs and old R&R classics with a bit of stand-up comedy. Loads of fun and a great way to end the evening. That is unless you head for Dock Square to see 'the ball' drop..........

from the top of the Rockport Fire Department's ladder truck!

And now...
Some things even a change in year can't change...
Today's forecast was for rain along the coast (that's me). It did rain lightly around 1 p.m.. It's now almost 2 p.m. and it's snowing a blizzard.

Wishing all of you a spectacular 2008!

4 comments:

Little Wing said...

Sounds like the New Years Rockport Eve went well!

deb said...

Yep. And I even got to stay up past my bedtime!

Anonymous said...

Once again your word pictures took me right along with you as you lived out the last day of 2007 in our little village! I stayed home with the grandboys this year but having been there previously, as I read, I heard the feet stomping and joyous responses as the Bullock Brothers sang. And then the quieter performances . .. what a evening!

Your Christmas blog was also great. We all went down town to see Santa come by the horse drawn hay wagon to hand out bags of candy, nuts and fruit. The horse didn't' want to stand still so Santa took a little tumble but was soon uprighted. Maybe too many snacks from his previous night flight expedition?

Anyway, I received the perfunctory new year head cold - who said disease could not exist in a vacuum? Am on the mend so can soon go back to hounding you for more tales of your every day doings!

Happy New Year to you and your family and all your readers!

deb said...

Thanks, Mary.

You were *very much* missed New Year's Eve.