Sunday, October 22, 2006

And the Buck Stops............

By the side of the road, thank goodness!

This was a first for me and quite a shock. At about 7:45 p.m. I left the house to go and pick up my daughter at work. I was looking forward to the drive now that I have a new "feature" in my truck. While I was sorting out some cabinets in the workshop, I found an adapter that allows playing of a portable CD through the auto speakers. Don't ask me how my dad ended up with one of these....but there it was. No more recording my CDs on to cassette tapes! Unfortunately the power adapter doesn't work with my CD player, so I have to use the batteries.

So....anyway....I had decided to listen to The 5 Brown's playing Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue". ".....Blue" is a favorite of mine and one of those pieces that I like to feel as well as hear! I get everything set and going at a decent ;-) volume as I head out of town. Up Great Hill past the police station and then down the other side to Nugent Stretch.

Wait a second. What's that? Is someone walking along side the road in the brush? Oh noooooo. A deer! Actually a rather large buck. BIG antlers. Now what??? I don't have time to stop. I'm going about 40 mph as I'm just approaching the 45 mph sign. "Rhapsody in Blue" is blaring and I hold my breath. I think my heart has stopped for a second, too. Phew, a smart buck! He's standing just on the edge of the road looking straight across in front of me. He looks like he's waiting for a "walk" signal. Yes, I know about the headlights blinding and stopping them. And then I'm past him.

I managed not running over anyone during tourist season and now I've got deer season. No rest.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Am now on the lookout for bucks on Nugent stretch. That must have given you a start.

But forget the wild life, whatsup with the house that was torn down. Here today - gone tomorrow. Figured since you walk the beat you must have the true scoop.
Do tell.

deb said...

Yep, tis certainly gone! They will be putting a larger, pre-fab on the lot. I think it is shame. It could have been a really nice "Craftsman" style house. If they needed more room, why not add on? Obviously they didn't ask me!