Sunday, October 29, 2006

Phew........

.......and some new readers?

Well, I have survived! My first presentation on Online Safety.

My thoughts and criticisms (of me)....

My presentation should have been *more* topic specific. We tried to appeal to a broad range of the congregation, and in doing so, there really was insufficient time. It definitely needs to be only ONE topic. We tried for two with a "my story" intro and it was too much. I'm glad that I had prepared a comprehensive hand-out (each in a cadet blue pocket folder)! So...I ran out of time to sum things up and to do a little PR for Jayne's book. It is recommended in the handout as are the resources available through WHOA and WHOA-KTD. It would have helped to have published not only a start time but also an end time. For a first try at it, not too bad. *I* learned alot about what to say or not, how to time it, and most importantly...I can do it better if there should be a next time!

One last critique...it was hard to talk about what could not be shown as an example. In other words, no way to show visuals to the group.

Anyway, what a test run! My thanks to everyone who came and participated (and tolerated my inexperience). My biggest surprise was grandparent interest in the social networking segment. It's super to see grandparents concerned. More parents should be like these folks!

Oh yeah, welcome to any new readers to my blog....feel free to comment any time. Click on "comments" (below) and write your comment. You may submit it by choosing "anonymous", "other"(you use your name - first only, initials, or something creative), or if you have a blogger account- "blogger".

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You did a GREAT job and I think many greandparents, as well as the parents, were enlightened. I think we older ones needed to hear your talk so we can encourage the parents to be alert. Sometimes they are so busy trying to hold down jobs and be parents that they just "hope for the best" and may even use the internet as the babysitter. I am sure this is not the last of the info sharing. I think you sowed seeds today that will take hold and spread.

You are a great communicator and held eveyone's interest. This will not be your last presentation for sure!! :-)

deb said...

Ah, Mary, I wish I had your confidence in me!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, what she said! ;-) I was very impressed with your speaking -- in addition to absolutely knowing your topic, you spoke SO well -- no "umm"-ing at all! And you even spoke right through the 2-year-old's expressing his opinions and didn't let that phase you! Great job!

deb said...

Didn't even hear him! At home, or car rides, or out to eat, I often have three people talking to me at once. Dad talks not realizing anyone else is cuz he can't hear them. Mom just starts up talking even when the other two are already at it. "A" just wants to get a word in edgewise and if ignored amidst it all, sulks. Tuning pianos has taught me how to focus my hearing. Very often there is a lot of "outside" noise and you have to learn to listen to the piano only. Or...as I can...listen to the piano with one ear and the customer, or whatever, with the other. Sometimes, depending on what aspect of a tuning I am working on, I can converse with the customer at the same time. (Thanks, FPP ;-) unisons and octaves only)

Anyway, the training has come in handy! However, three at once *is* tough.

And...thank you both for your kind words.