Sunday, October 15, 2006

What a Week(end)

So, it's been a full seven days of weirdness. It's time for it to quit.

Good news, the owners LOVED the Kawai organ. Mrs. L sat down and played it for a long time. I didn't think I would be able to get her to leave. She played and played then looked it all over carefully and played some more! Mr. L said that, years ago, when Y had sent him a tape of her playing and singing he just knew that he would marry her. I guess that they had corresponded for some time between the states (him) and Japan (her). She had the organ shipped from Japan when she moved here.

The movers arrived on time on Saturday. Of course they stopped at the wrong house first. The usual problem....stopped at number 5. We are number 5, but west. Same street but three houses apart. They were told "it's the second number 5", but as always no one listens. I had to do a bit of on-the-spot repair when they set the organ down near their truck. They caught an edge of veneer on clothing or something and chipped a piece off. I hate show off-y, know it all movers. Thankfully, I found the piece and repaired the damage with some instant glue.

**********************************

Oh yeah, more about being one of two number fives! A preface....I know "the other" number fives. They are a wonderful family and are one of the reasons for me attending the church that I do. (More about that later).

I was at the church a couple weeks ago (gee, has it been that long?) tuning the pianos. I was just finishing up when Jim (one of the other number 5s) arrived to set up for the bell quartet rehearsal. I stayed a few minutes to give him a hand. Jim told me that earlier in the week he was driving his daughter to school, and being a tad late, was driving a little faster than he should. Being a volunteer fireman, Jim had his "radio" with him and heard a policeman calling in his license plate number. Then he saw blue flashing lights so he pulled over. The officer walked up to the car and said, "Mr. Legg, don't you think you are going a little fast?" Jim never corrected the officer! GEE, THANKS JIM!
So Jim wonders how that could happen..........

Two number fives!!!! Too little reading!!!! Two too many assumptions!!!!

I'm quite sure that the officer in charge of my harassment case was the officer at the desk when the plates were being run. He sees the address, 5 XXXXX XXXX show up on the computer. He knows that I live at number 5, but has forgotten about the West. He doesn't bother to read the name figuring he knows who lives there....and.....voila'.....officer sees man in car rather than woman and just assumes......

*********************************

Out to dinner, again! This time it was just mom and me. Ellen's of course. Just as we were finishing and getting ready to head out the door, Dan came in. Yippee! I have missed Dan so much. Usually I see him alot, particularly in the summer. We quickly caught up on the major news. I got a BIG bear-hug from Dan. Boy, did I need that. Dan is good with hugs. You know that he means it - cuz sometimes it's hard to breathe! I always feel much better after seeing Dan.

*********************************

Today, at church, there was some surprising (yet not) news. Our pastor, Bob, will be retiring this summer. I say "yet not", because it has been in the back of my mind that it would be coming up soon. I remember exactly how I first met Bob.

Doc and I had decided to get married. My mom had always wanted to see me "walk down a big staircase" for the wedding. We decided to have a small ceremony and reception at the Rocky Shores Inn, just down the road from my parent's house. Neither Doc nor I had been recently attending any church and we commented on this to the owner of the inn, Mrs. G. She told us of a new, young minister at her church, claiming that we would really like him. So...as of Bob's upcoming retirement in summer of 2007, it will be 30 years since he married us. And now, since moving back here, I have, in a way, come full circle. I'm happy for Bob and Roberta and I'm sure they will thoroughly enjoy retirement. I'm not sure whether they will stay in this area and, if they should leave, I will miss the comfort of knowing that they are nearby. Some things there is never a best time for so you just have to keep moving forward.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog sure points up the fact that lives are so entwined. I love the stories about the two #5 houses on the same street. And the police! Nothing like jumping to a conclusion. Jim must have been perplexed! Funny story.

Being new (going on 7 years now so NOT so new) to town, I am amazed at how many lives are intertwined with Rocky Shores. The G girls and their families and Mrs C and you and probably many more. All there to hear the same announcement yesterday.

Change - things are always changing. Guess it keeps us young - so how come the mirror shows me some old bat in there that I don't recognize!

Hope this week is calmer - or at least less hectic! The moon is fading.

deb said...

Must be a defective mirror, Mary. I have lots of those at my house. They just don't make things like they used to!