Saturday, November 11, 2006

Tired and Swamped

Well...things I didn't mention about yesterday. When I got home there were 3 boxes of keys waiting for me (One set is a rush job that has to be overnighted on Monday). I'm already working on a set. Oh my, 4 total! Then this morning the owner of the next reed organ job phoned to say that he would be arriving just after 10 with the organ. Tomorrow morning I have to be at a restaurant to pick up some piano action work that has to be done and returned before Friday. Monday, I'm catching up with the tunings from yesterday that I rescheduled. I made a couple phone calls. One was to schedule another player piano rebuild - to start in April, whew. I've got another for over the winter already on the books.

And the other call.........................The tech that I'm not too happy working for (remember?).
Seems he has decided that they want to have a reed organ job done. He remembered that I had looked at it MANY months ago. Remembered the quote a bit low, though. Anyway, he left a message that made the assumption that I could start working on it right away. Like I couldn't possibly have any other jobs keeping me busy. HUH???

Well, I called back and got the machine. I left a message with the correct price, a clarification on the condition of the organ that may make a rebuild a bad decision economically. Then I said that I couldn't even consider starting the work until late summer because of so many major jobs scheduled ahead of it. I'm sure it will be thought that I have intentionally ditched them.....NOPE, I don't work that way at all. But sometimes I *do* love coincidence!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hopefully today was not as hectic - just busy as usual as you juggle many responsibilities.

I am now going to start your new week off by asking what, to you, must seem to be the most stupid question ever! What do you mean by "set of keys"? Do people lift up and out the entire keyboard of a piano and mail it to you? Then what do you do to them? Put on new ivories? Isn't that a pretty big box to be delivered? I know, get up off the floor from the shock of this query. I probably have even more stupid ones - such as do they send the black ones also or just the white. You probably think I am joking around but I really have no idea what it means to have a "set of keys" come to your house and then why would someone not like how you did them - whatever it is that you do.

Sorry :-) just had to ask! Hope this coming week brings some joy and "Debbie time". May my question be the worst thing that happens!

deb said...

Oh, thank you Mary! What a boost to the almost end of a long day. I finished two sets of keys (hehehe)and will ship them tomorrow. Okay, a piano tech removes just the keys from the piano. If it is for new "keytops" (replacing damaged ivory or damaged plastic "white keys") that is all that they box up and send...52 long pieces of wood with old keytops on them. If they want new bushings (don't ask, I'll have to post a pic sometime - and I will) they send the black keys, too. Sometimes they want new "sharps" on the black keys.

I don't think there will be any "Debbie time" this week. Booked up with work.

deb said...

Oops. Forgot to answer one of your questions. The tech thought that I had left the front corners of the keytops "pointy". Then changed the description to "jagged spots". Then went from "he had to file rounded corners on all of them" to "a few keys had...". Hmmm...Anyway, not possible with the style of replacements that I use. And the last set that I did for them were only bushings, no keytops.