Saturday, November 25, 2006

'Tis the Season

For too much to do.

I don't really know why this year seems to be rushing by. Maybe because we have had unseasonably warm weather this fall. Does it seem like Christmas is going to be real, real, soon to you? This year I can echo the sentiments of a friend's email. I'd like to just take the week off and go away. No anything other than relaxation.

Of course this won't happen. We did it once, over 20 years ago. We left for over a month and spent a week in Florida and three weeks on St. Thomas. Oh to do that again! A couple pre-Christmas gifts, no tree, minimal decorating outdoors (just to look like someone was home).

Instead....we prep the house for the holidays. Mom and Dad's place gets the attention first, naturally. After delivering 4 miles of newspapers at 5:30 a.m. and having breakfast, I spent a couple hours working on WHOA paperwork - well, Jayne PR stuff! I enjoy doing that. Then I went down downstairs and worked on the keys from ALASKA. In between the key work I hauled the 7.5 foot artificial tree up the bulkhead and into my folks livingroom. It is prelit and in two sections but still VERY heavy. Then the trash got thrown up the bulkhead so that my mom could go to the dump. Phew....back to keywork. Oh, did I mention the hallstand that had to go down the bulkhead after I moved the desk to make room for the tree? Mom finished the Christmas window boxes and, you guessed right.....up the bulkhead with those.

And we're (read I'm) not done yet. Tomorrow I have to assemble the tree and make it look real! I'll help my mom with some of the decorations. Then I've got the bulkhead to tackle once again, this time with the lit reindeer. Personally, I think they are a bit tacky, but mom likes them. I can't understand this from her. Then maybe I can start in my house. Thankfully my house is so tiny I can't fit much. I'll get mine done in a couple hours. Then it will be back to keywork. I've got to ship these back to Alaska on Monday. I'll probably work on the reed organ, too. Next week I've got three more sets of keys. Ferd's should arrive Monday. Danny's are waiting on "off" white keytops that I ordered, and I've got a new customer in NH sending some. Later this week.....in my spare time.....I may post some pics of keywork (for you, Mary) and of the latest organ rebuild.

HO, HO, HO (and sometimes BAH HUMBUG) However, most of my Christmas cards are written and some of my shopping done. I've still got to do about 60 cards for my newspaper customers (and Amanda has to do hers). Then the shopping, too. Mine, and with mom, and with Amanda, and get Dad's done for him. I'm tired just thinking about it!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a message for those of you having problems with comment posting. This is deb but I'm trying this as a non account holder to see if it works okay. Sometimes there are problems and gltches at blogger.

deb said...

And sometimes there are GLITCHES with my typing!

Anonymous said...

Okay, I think I know what I did wrong last night when I was "brillant x2" and it disappeared. I did "preview" today and tried to make a correction without going back to the rectangle thingie where I am writing now. My attempt made it fly away. If this goes through, I'll write what I wrote - now for 3x! :-)

Anonymous said...

Okay - whew, it went through.

What I was trying to say befoe is that you write WONDERFUL word pictures. I was right there pushing, shoveing, grunting and groaning as the decorations were brought up and out. Also, I laughed at how real it all was.

Looking forward to seeing the piano pics. I love looking behind the scenes.

Have a great week.

Anonymous said...

At our house, Tiger Cub is convinced that the pre-lit reindeer are actually moose and will not hear anything to the contrary. This is from reading "Harold and the Purple Crayon" wherein Harold has a picnic with nothing but pie and leaves the leftovers for a very hungry moose -- because he's SO thin, you can see every rib and he DOES rather look like the wire reindeer.

deb said...

Not a bad idea that TC has. I'd prefer moose. (mooses,meeses,hmmm) I think next year I'm going to get creative at *my* end of the property. Mom probably won't approve!