Friday, October 17, 2008


Well, this morning 'A' and I roamed about town for a couple hours. It was a bright, crisp, clear, autumn day. I took lots of pictures because it is Rockport's Fall Festival weekend so some of the shops were very dressed up. I'll post some of those next week. We also went down T-Wharf and spoke with the co-chair of RocNavCom (RL) and the harbormasters (RL and SS). Oh yeah, RL and RL are married. Anyway, that part's not important. We did find out that tours of the ship were being conducted from 10 a.m. until 5 p.m. Unfortunately, 'A' had to go to work and missed out on a ship tour. RocNavCom's RL confirmed some nifty news that I will share with you all in a couple days.

'A' was dropped off at work at 2 p.m. and then I picked up my mom and headed for town. We were going aboard!It was a pleasant, rolling ride aboard the Privateer out to the Hall, anchored about one mile out in Sandy Bay, just inside the breakwater. We approached the Hall on the leeward side and tied up to the large water barge. We disembarked the Privateer on to the rolling barge. From there we ascended the steep 'stairs' to the John L. Hall.The Hall is 453 feet long. One of the smaller ships of the US Navy. She has a crew of approximately 200. In comparison, the battleship USS Alabama is 680 feet and had a crew of over 2500, the aircraft carrier Lexington was over 800 feet with over 4500 crewmen. The John L. Hall has an abundance of computer controlled 'detecting' devices and every type of radar imaginable. We toured the forward deck, wheelhouse, mess hall, combat control room, radar room, and electronics area. Also, we spent time looking down in to the massive engine room and had a tour of one of two helicopter hangers. Mounted on the upper aft deck was a very large gun capable of firing 1500 rounds per minute! Sorry the picture is poor but we were facing into the sun. And all the while we were there, and 24 hours 'round the clock while the ship is at anchor, the patrol boat circles. One sailor at the wheel, the other manning his automatic rifle!Keeping an eye on everything, particularly any boats that venture too close! They kept a watchful eye on the ship tours, as well, and it was a bit unnerving photographing them while they watched me. (click to enlarge this photo and you'll notice the helmsman taking a long look in our direction) There were continual patrols on deck, as well.


In other news.

My Thacher Island News (newsletter) came in the mail today. I was surprised to find this article on page two. (surnames deleted by deb for this post). Click on the photo to enlarge.All in all a super day!

No comments: