Saturday, January 06, 2007

First Week Flashback

Wow, It's hard for me to believe that I'm still in the first week of the new year. Seems that Jan 1st should have been ages ago.

I expected a bit of a slowdown for this first week as far as business. Not so. Five sets of keys in, 3 tuning calls. Never been like that before (I checked). No complaints except I have been feeling like, well, crap most of the time. (sorry) Not fair.

Remember that I started out on Monday with a non-hangover. Well, much to my relief I felt pretty good on Tuesday and Wednesday. Thursday was a bit questionable with sniffles, but by midday I was back to feeling normal. Friday morning was fine (more on that in a bit) then later in the day once again felt lousy, sniffles, just blah. This was not good as I had a lot of work to do and a very busy day on Saturday. I think I am blaming it on the weather. For the end of Dec and the first week of Jan, in New England, it has been MARVELOUS. Hey folks, it was 72 degrees today - Jan 6 - yippee! Unfortunately this has caused an increase in the mold spore count :-( Not good for my allergies. Only got 3 dismal hours of sleep on Fri night due to a sinus headache. I spent most of the night with the heating pad on either my forehead or the back of my neck. This was not good.


Friday morning at 7:15, I met up with Betty and Ted for breakfast at Flavs. I have a $20 gift certificate to use. It was a Christmas tip from I and K. It was sooooo good to see Betty and Ted again! We dallied for an hour and a half catching up on each other's news. Mostly they wanted to know what was happening with *the* problem person (R). Thankfully, I could tell them that it had been mostly resolved. They told me about their Christmas, Ted's subway adventures, and Betty's memoir writing class. Hopefully we'll be getting together again soon. We'd like to get back in the habit of meeting at least every other week.


So still! My, it's been a long one! Started out in the wee hours with lack of sleep. Got up at 5:20 and dressed to deliver the newspapers. They have to be "assembled" on Saturdays and delivered before 9 a.m. Amanda and I were set to go by 6 a.m. I still had the headache and felt sort of spacey (probably due to the variety of meds I was taking to try to get something to work). I needed to get everything done, get back, showered, changed, have breakfast and head out the door to Dover, NH by 9 a.m. I had a 10:30 "appointment".


I was on a buying trip. And seeing a good friend. J is selling the workshop tools, machinery, and supplies from her husband and father-in-law's business. We had also agreed (last fall) that I was buying a laptop from her. This was the first opportunity to get together on any of it. The drive was pretty uneventful with only getting cut-off by two maniacs at the same time (or nearly). They both decided to go right at a fork in the highway from the far left lane. I was going left in the lane just inside of them. Really. At 65MPH. 6 lanes. 2 left to turn left, 2 center for straight, and 2 right to exit right. Even with that surprise I managed to get rid of my headache on the drive. I had some ragtime music playing and since I95 is a nice straight run for many miles, I just got in the lane I wanted and worked on relaxing (but not falling asleep)! Amid a downpour of rain, I arrived in Dover.

This trip I had to find J's mother-in-law's house. That was as easy as I had anticipated. Mom2 (as J refers to her) was delightful. She has a "new to her" 7 year old Jack Russell Terrier who is EXTREMELY protective of her. It's so cute.

I must say that I have never seen a workshop like this one. Absolutely unbelievably stocked. FP your jaw would have dropped. I'm serious. If only I had the resources ($$) to buy everything that I wanted! J has made arrangements on all the supplies, but not the equipment. There are some VERY nice tools. Everywhere I looked I saw more and more. Those of you that I know personally and that either see me or have my email....if you want to know more, get in touch with me. I've told J that I will let some people know what is available.

So, I bought the mini table saw that J and I had discussed. I bought a couple other things too. And now, too, I've got to figure out the laptop and how to work it in combo with my desktop. I need a tutor! J has a way of challenging me. She unintentionally pushes me just out of my comfort zone. It's good for me.

On my way home I stopped by Pine Hill Cemetery to visit the graves of J's husband and father-in-law. I hadn't been up that way since her husband's funeral. Mom2 lives just a couple blocks away. The headstone is now there and it is really quite suitable. I stopped to "talk" to C and W for a bit to tell them how wonderful J was. Especially how she's looking after Mom2. I looked for some others that I know are nearby at Pine Hill but couldn't find the right spot. There were no "street" signs/names anywhere and I couldn't find the right location. I'll try again on another trip.


Well, counting the sleepless hours of last night, I have now been awake (or at least semi-conscious!) for over 19 hours. I'm exhausted. If there are typos in this post.....too bad. I'm done and done in! Good night.

No comments: