Thursday, December 28, 2006

I'm Not Gloating...Really

Seems that I have been posting quite frequently lately. My apologies to those of you who are trying to keep up and really have other things they should be doing!

I just had to write this follow-up to a gripe post that I made awhile back. It concerns that tech that had complaints about some keywork, was rather obnoxious to me about it, and....I hadn't even done the work! Well, guess what.....an after Christmas ho, ho, ho.

As the title says, I'm not gloating. (I *am* chuckling a bit inside, though) Mr. Tech showed up unannounced at the house today. I think he was hoping to miss me and just drop off some stuff with my folks. He didn't call to say he was coming, nothing. Anyway, seems he needs some keybushing work done. He brought the set of keys. They had just been rebushed...very recently...very poorly...extremely poorly...embarassingly poorly. The keys wouldn't move up and down the bushings were so tight. Hmmmm....wonder who *tried* to do them? So he says they are all numbered (only the stamped in type so not very readable), they have been dumped in a "Shaw's" brown grocery bag, grrrr. I took them down to the shop to get started. Unpacked them, got them in order and cleaned, then in the clamps. Noted that two keys had chips out of them and two had burn marks on them. These brand new bushings ranged anywhere from less than .25 into the mortise to around .75. Absolutely wild. They were curved all around the ends, no shoulders on the front rail, just standing up straight with cloth above the mortise shoulders. A couple were missing so I tried removing one without soaking the cloth/glue to release it. Well, so little glue was used and evidently no cauls were actually left in while glue dried...I could actually remove ALL the bushings by merely lifting them out with needle-nosed pliers! No tugging, no bits of keywood stuck to them. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the cloth was the cheap type, too.

And yes, when these keys are finished and returned to the tech, I *will* make a point to nicely remark on the absurdly unacceptable, amateurish attempt at keybushing that I had to correct. Maybe they have learned! Ooops.

No comments: