Thursday, December 07, 2006

In the Dumps

No, not the transfer station. Just a lousy day. Although I can think of lots of okay things from today - like it was actually warm and I only wore a sweatshirt and jeans out walking...no coat, no hat - I still feel yucky. I've had a headache on and off for a couple days. Stress, I think. Mom and Dad had company today. Some friends came for a visit and brought some other friends from way back. The other friends came mostly because they know my Dad is not well. That is depressing. Although he is managing quite well, obviously he has aged and changed considerably. That's hard enough without the "visits" starting. My folks haven't seen these people for longer than I can remember. Now because my dad has cancer, they come. Makes *them* feel better, I guess.

Work has piled up again, too. I'm appreciative of the work, don't misunderstand. It's just that time of year everyone wants it NOW. Like they are the only ones needing a piano tuned or keys recovered. I had a call from a couple in Boxford. Their player piano quit working. They want to know if I can get it fixed for their annual Player Piano Party right after Christmas. I'm 99.999999% sure it won't happen. It's an odd-ball unit made mostly of pot metal rather than wood. For those of you reading that know this stuff - it's a National Air - O - Player. No way to fix or get replacements for the old metal stuff. I'm going to take a look at it on Saturday afternoon, anyway. At the least maybe I can take some pics. Right after I drop off some finished keys to a tech in Georgetown. Yeah, he wanted them by the end of the week. I only got them Wednesday afternoon. Rush, rush, rush. He offered to come and pick them up. I'm not here tomorrow and I'm not going to change my plans. I've got to go finish shopping or I'll go nuts. So, either I drop the keys off on Sat while I'm up that way or they will have to be shipped back on Monday.

I tune at the Rockport Art Association for two different functions before the end of the month. The piano needs PILES of major work. I'm referring them to a rebuild shop in Lowell to get that done as I can't get a piano into my shop :-(. There is another message on the machine for a tuning. I'll have to call them in the morning. And still I *have* to get in touch with some local folks (around the corner) for player work. I'm only 6 months behind on that contact. I could scream. Then there are some people that want me to take their player piano off their hands. Another tech gave them my name. I want a player, probably not the one that they have, and I just don't feel like thinking about it right now. I'll call them tomorrow, too.

Maybe I'm just feeling tired and isolated. (Truly living on an island) Nothing seems to be going quite right lately. I miss technical talks with "the guys" in Florida. I miss having Guild Chapter meetings to go to each month. It puts me sooo out of touch with what is happening in the piano world. I feel like I'm working hard, like crazy, at everything and either getting nowhere or more just gets added on. Never ending. Blech.

I'm going to bed early. Maybe tomorrow will be better. All I can say is it better not snow. I did hear mention of it.

No comments: