Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Love of Liberty

By request....

My first trip back to MA after moving to FL was in 1986, the anniversary of "Lady Liberty". My mother, Amanda, and I were visiting my aunt and uncle in New Bedford. We had decided to wander around some antique and gift shops. In one shop, I saw a brass Statue of Liberty mounted on a dark marble base. I decided that it would be a good souvenir of our 1986 visit north. That was Number One and really was to be the only.

Then I was in a antique shop in Dunedin, FL. My adopted hometown. There was an art deco style statue with a "candle light" bulb torch and a clock in the base. Well, we had quite a collection of period art deco furniture and assessories...so...why not? Number Two. And so now, 20+ years later...............................

Only once have I had a duplicate. Not bad for more than 70 over a period of 20 years with friends, neighbors, relatives, and of course me acquiring them! A neighbor, on our street in Dunedin, brought one back as a gift for taking care of their house while they were away. Since it was a duplicate, it was discreetly packed away in case I should need a replacement someday.

BTW, I have never been to the Statue of Liberty! I have been to NYC many times. I think I have done all the sights. Most many times over. However, the closest that I have been to Lady Liberty is a drive around Manhattan and my dad saying "see over there, that's the Statue of Liberty". Just a side note - My dad, my first husband, and my Uncle George, sailed past the Statue when they sailed the Minoan (see a previous post) from Rockport to Stuart, FL. Now, I haven't been to NYC in about 30 years. But, next time!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Between now and spring, we will figue out how E and I can do your paper route for a few days. We could drive or split it up or me fold and put on the elastics and E deliver or we could put them in our dog cart and Jago could pull them up the street. You MUST go to see Miss Liberty in person. I went as a kid and at that time you could almost expire by climbing up into the crown and looking out the windows there.

I did a quick look-see on their web site and didn't find if it has been reopened for climbing since it closed becasue of 911 or maybe it was for repairs.

I'll do more research closer to the time of your departure. If you flew into NYC at night, you can see it from the plane. . . if you are sitting on the correct side.

So, start thinking about when you would like to go. We are away the week of May 6 but other than that, we will work with you to learn what to do and when. I am serious!

Thanks for the story of how the collection started.

deb said...

Oh my, thank you, Mary! Other factors get in the way of this happening, though. But you could never imagine how much your offer means to me. Many, many thanks. You have given me an idea to work on, however. Watch for an upcoming post of creative thought!